Exploring the many uses of patterns for other craft projects.
By mesmark
Wedge's idea may have sparked more people than me to make some window covers this year. (Well, wedge and martha stewart.)

I made some Nightmare Before Christmas window hangings today.

I'm going to put those and two more in the windows for my Halloween Party. I have the party during the day and this will be a good way to block out some of the light and give the place an eary effect.
By Wedge
Looks good Mesmark. I am not sure which theme I am going with this year but the windows will have ZP designs on them
By Kittie
The avatar i have is a window cover. :) I want to make two more this year.
By Coley
Would love to make these this year, but any help on how i would go about enlarging the stencils on my home printer.
I have got an Epson stylus photo RX425. Not sure if it is even possible, but any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Coley
By Coley
thanks for your help mesmark, will have to make a trip to staples and see how much they charge. Also, when it comes to lighting, is the room light enough itself, or do you use extra light behind it?
Thanks again mesmark
By Pumpkin King
On my Lexmark you can enlarge and print out larger image by using the poster format in the printing settings. Just scan the image in and then enlarge it and set the poster setting. Note: you don't have to enlarge it much to get a large template. Becuase it prints out in poster form you will need to tape the 2 or 4 pages of the template together to align the image correctly.
By mesmark
Coley wrote:Also, when it comes to lighting, is the room light enough itself, or do you use extra light behind it?
It probably depends on your neighborhood. If your street is well lit or you have light coming from other rooms in your house, then maybe but I think just your regular house lights on in the room will be fine. That's all I used in the picture and that was taken at dusk.
By reignman40
What sort of paper/poster board is are you using? I would love to do these window coverings this year. Any help would be awesome.

Curtis
By Kittie
When I did mine, I used a cheep black table cloth that i paid 99 cents for at wal mart. Then I just cut out the design with a exacto knife and taped and gluded yellow tissue paper to the back.
By mesmark
reignman40 wrote:What sort of paper/poster board is are you using? I would love to do these window coverings this year. Any help would be awesome.
Old thread, but I'm making more for this year ...

Anyway, I used black felt. It's a little expensive, but I wanted something I could fold up and use year after year. As we are all aware storage is a bit of a concern. Also, I wanted something that would completely block out other light. So, I went with felt.

If you wanted to go with something cheaper, you could use cardboard and it would work great. Most hardware stores will sell large sheets of carboard for really cheap. They don't have any writing on them and those would work really well in the windows.

I have already made two new ones and I have two more to do. When I get them all done, I'll post the pictures.
By mesmark
Here's what imade in 2007

I have my Halloween party in this huge room with large japanese paper windows. It doesn't feel a whole lot like Halloween, so I put these up to one block out the light (my party is at 1:00 in the afternoon) and as decoration.

I have 6 more planned for this year.