Exploring the many uses of patterns for other craft projects.
By nosferatu
Some of you may recall that last year I did a collage of ZP designs. It always bugged me that I could see the joins in the paper and that they weren't uniformly spaced and some encroached on the border.

The solution was to carve all the designs on one single A1 sized piece of card. This was the third attempt, I kept making mistakes with carving the design - mainly due to tiredness, but I finally completed it.

Very happy with it, apologies for the photo, flash - classic error - and it is proped onto of a radiator in the kitchen. I'll try and take a better picture once it is hung in my office

By SaneInsideInsanity
pretty me likes it
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Impressive! Warhol meets Orlok.

Did you actually cut all those out? I'd like to hear about your process, if you don't mind sharing. Maybe it will give other people some ideas.
By nosferatu
Yeah, all cut out of one piece of black card. It took three attempts the first one failed due to a slip of the carving knife after I had cut out ten Nosferati.

The second one failed after about 14 cut outs because I had rushed transferring the design. One was out by about 2cms and I did not notice till I had started cutting it by which time it was too late.

The third attempt went as follows. Took A1 piece of black card and drew round mount to give the actual working area. I knew from last year that the best size for the stencil cut outs were shrunk 50% of A4 as this would allow 5 to fit across and 5 down the working area. Any smaller than that and the small cuts are extremely difficult.

I then divided the back of the card into a grid and transferred the design onto the grid using white graphite paper (I was going to use Saral paper but am saving that for pumpkins). The final task was to cut out the 25 Nosferati. I reckon it took me 7 hours in total (plus a further 7 hours on the two failures).

I have already started on a new one which will feature mostly patterns from 2009. Its a relatively cheap way to furnish my office - one piece of orange card and one piece black card plus picture frame. Total cost £16 ($24)
By S.A.M
That looks amazing Nos, even more so knowing that you cut each one out :shock: You must have the patience of a saint!
I'd probably mess up cutting the last one out with the pressure of not wanting to ruin it lol. What do you use to cut them out? They look so neat and clean.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
That sounds like a very practical way to accomplish these pieces, but still it must be a lot of work. I respect your patience!
By nosferatu
Patience? You should have seen me tearing the first two attempts to pieces when I realised I'd messed them up. I did it in stints - otherwise my concentration wanders. I already know the Nosferatu stencil backwards as I have done him on about 18 luminaires.

I just use a normal craft knife (Exacto knife) with a new blade. Forgot to mention that once carved, I turned the card over so that the grid and other lines were on the back rather than the face side.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Oh, I can imagine your frustration on the goof ups. The fact that you went back and started again proves your determination.

I figured you stenciled and cut on the back, then flipped. The count is looking the other way. :)
By SaneInsideInsanity
looks awesome ive debated doing one of these but never have so fear of anger nos you must have the paitence of a saint
By QuickAvenger
Nos it looks like rubbish throw it away and make sure it goes directly to my trash can!
By blueikaos
Great idea!
I second your patience...I don't think I could do it...
Although I might give it a go...now to pick a design...