Exploring the many uses of patterns for other craft projects.
I did a couple of Dia de los Muertos luminaires. That took forever but looked okay so as I have a few takeaway bags left over (approx 100) thought I would test them out on ZP stencils. They work really well. The thing I need to remember for the future is to carve them further up the bag so the flicker light can't be seen.

I reckon anyone who wants a great display but can only carve a limited amount of pumpkins (such as myself) could do ZP luminaires to compliment their display. I reckon I'll do quite a few between now and next October.

Last edited by nosferatu on Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Good use for stencils. My mom made some for Halloween one year, using ZP patterns. Never thought to bring the designs over to Christmas though.

Ready Made magazine did a feature about these back in 2004, and featured one of my patterns.

I find that - while a lighter bag will give the lantern more overall glow - a darker bag is better if you want to show off the design. More contrast between the light and dark.

If you're worried about the flicker light showing on the inside, try placing a piece of tracing paper inside the bag, right behind the design.
By nosferatu
I read that story in the Press section and it has been lodged there ever since waiting to resurface.

I'm going to do them for next Halloween rather than Christmas and thanks for the advice regarding the tracing paper.

You are definitely right about the darker bags, some of which are already on their way to me via ebay.
By nosferatu
Had some recycled paper black bags in the post. Black on the outside, white on the inside. They work really well as you suggested.

I had a 150 delivered....so I am hoping to put stencils on most of them in time for next Halloween. Who needs pumpkins?
By The Vlad Hatter
it is a cool idea.

I'm just curious aren't you concerned about putting a flame in 150 paper bags outside your house while kids walk up all night?
By nosferatu
That is a fair point but I reckon I'd mainly use outdoor Christmas lights. Somehow. Plenty of time to work that out....I think.

Besides everyone likes a bonfire, don't they?
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Frank looks excellent!

I've done these luminaria bags for Halloween before, and was a bit concerned about the kids walking by them if they were placed along the sidewalk.

Outside, it's not much danger of spreading fire (easy enough to stomp out a paper bag) but it would be bad if you lit a kid's costume on fire. Especially someone else's kid (not that lighting your own child ablaze is somehow okay either, of course).

So, best to use battery/electric lights, or set the lanterns far away from where people walk.
By nosferatu
So far done 12 "take-aways". Found cheap lights on sale in local market. Using tracing paper totally transforms the look of them - great advice Ryan!

I'm doing 2 a day at the moment and plan to use 2 or three of the bags in an experiment on Friday.