Exploring the many uses of patterns for other craft projects.
By reignman40
Just finished the WindowKins for my living room windows. The small squares you'll see are approximately 7.5" x 7.5". The large windows are approximately 66" x 38". I'll also post a link below each pic to click for a larger picture if you want to see higher detail.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u280 ... ow-kin.jpg

Let me know what y'all think.
Curtis
By Kittie
Very nice! What did you end up using to make yours?
By belli
These windowkins are great!!

What materials did you use and was it an easy process?
By reignman40
I actually used a black flat Twin bed sheet. Only costed $2.50 at Wal-Mart and was large enough for both of these big windows. I thought the sheet might stand up better to years of use more then those plastic table cloths. Just went to Kinko's to enlarge the pictures. The Hot Sauce Zombie is 200%, the other zombies were 150%. The Jeckel and Hyde were 300%. All together to enlarge everything + another pic I enlarged for a big pumpkin was only like $9. The tissue paper behind the patterns is just yellow tissue paper. $0.97 at Wal-Mart was enough for all of them.

My hand hurts like heck after doing both those windowkins and a large Michael's foam pumpkin all in a 2 day span. But they were pretty easy to cut out. All in all not as difficult as u would think. The sheet was harder to cut then those plastic table cloths would be though. That's for sure.
By CanadianCarver
Great Job. The sheet is a good idea. I may have to do that next year if my table cloth version does not hold up. Did you just use glue to attach the tissue paper?
By reignman40
Yeah I used regular old Elmer's glue. You have to control it though. If you dab too much in one spot it will soak through the sheet. Learned that the hard way. :(
By katieme
Awesome those look really cool.
By Kittie
I have had my table cloth one for 3 years now, and it's holding up pretty good still.
By reignman40
Just got the set done for the upstairs windows.

Here is a pic of all the windowkins for the front of my house.
By stormqueen29
If I were a trick-or-treater, I'd think twice about knocking on your door.

Those are cool, but very creepy!

Gale
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Those all look awesome. I like how the designs you picked for each area have a bit of the theme. So these are over your windows 24/7? Is it dark inside during the day, and does it bother you that you can't look out the window (unless you're peering through the eyes of Michael Myers)?
By reignman40
They are on all day. I have curtains behind them that we have year round anyway so it's no biggie. We put orange string lights behind them to light the windowkins since we have the curtains on. So being on there 24/7 isn't an issue. It is a little annoying not being able to really look out the window but a VERY small price to pay for such an awesome decoration. I simply LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my windowkins.

Thanks so much for noticing my themes. I tried to stick with some sort of theme for each window. I just figured that would look way better then random ones done together on one window or the other.
By S.A.M
They do look fantastic reignman such a great effect and cool decoration that really makes your house look eerie :D
By amandap80
This may be a stupid question, but how did you stabilize your fabric to transfer and cut your pattern? Did you use a iron on interfacing or starch?
By reignman40
The whole sheet was ironed in order to cut each individual piece needed for the different windows and window sections. I went to Kinkos to enlarge the stencils, the ones that are shrunk I did myself in Adobe Photoshop. Then I pinned the paper to the sheet.

Then I just took a couple layers of cardboard and thumb tacked the sheet in multiple areas to hold it steady. That just felt the most comfortable medium for me to use. I thumb tacked mainly inside the areas that were to be cut but you can't see anywhere that I had to thumb tack outside the cut-able areas.

Hope that helps,
Curtis