Exploring the many uses of patterns for other craft projects.
By pagemaster1993
I'm not entirely sure if this is the place this should go, so if it's not sorry. :oops:

Any way it seems I have The Curse Of The Tiki upon me. Last year I carved out the Volcanic Tiki pattern onto a watermelon. The carving went great except I wasn't quit able to put on the smokey/flame accents on the sides. Then to top it off I couldn't get a good picture, because I was still using that old "child" camera. I thought this year will be different, and I could finally complete a watermelon carving and get a good picture of it. Boy was I wrong. This time I couldn't get the pattern to stay still. It just wanted to move all around. I had it taped down, but I guess the tape wasn't holding too good. In the long run I gave up and gave it The Meat Cleaver Of Death.

I would sure appreciate any tips that may help me on my third attempt. :D
By chuckwagon
Try getting the stencil wet. It should conform and stick really well to the curved surface of the melon. I've done this trick with a few pumpkins before and it works really well. Hope it helps. Good luck Page, and take some pics for us!!
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Maybe you should try another pattern besides a tiki, because clearly those seem to have put a curse on you!

I like to rinse my watermelons thoroughly to make sure there's no dirt/dust on them. Tape won't stick well otherwise. Once I rinse them off, I dry them completely. Make sure you use a tape that sticks well. I use a good quality scotch tape or sometimes this painters tape I have (orange, naturally). When it doubt, use more tape! Better to be too secure, than not enough.
By pagemaster1993
I've been thinking of using a more simple pattern. I did make another attempt using better tape. The tape I used the first time was tape I bought on the spur of the moment to hang Z. P. fliers randomly around Michael's craft pumpkin basket. I think I will have another go at it before the watermelon season is over, but am not sure which pattern to do.