Hey, what's new with you? Tell us about yourself.
Ok shortly before halloween I recieved an email from a Jounalist who wanted to 'do a piece' on pumpkin carving. He didn't give me any details but when he knew I was too far away from London, I offered to find him someone further down on the map ..... Cue the lovely Gus :)

Well in a nutshell we both got given the obligatory "I'll get back to you!!"

Needless to say I don't know who the hell he spoke to in the end but they say a picture paints a thousand words check this out ...... :roll: :shock:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... 02&index=0
By Tkaraoke
Ummmmm....I'm no expert but that really blew chunks! LOL
By monstermash
Oh dear indeed!! You'd think the Guardian would have done better. Poke hole method!?!?!?
By matspud
Its the bit about removing the skin with a knife after you've carved it that gets me. Remove the skin from your fingers ( and possibly remove your fingers) it should have said. :P
By nosferatu
GUS has been (rightly) very critical of the journalist and his article on his twitter account.

What a shame! Could have been a really good story too! :(
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I fairly primitive tutorial... we could all teach them a few tricks, right?!

Yeah, I don't really get the "removing the skin" part. Not really necessary for that spider design. It will just make the design dry out faster.

Plus, if you want to scrape away the skin, wouldn't you do that before cutting out the cut-through parts? And with a tool that is more accurate than a giant knife!? (clay loop, linoleum cutter, wood gouge, etc)
By CorpseBride
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:I fairly primitive tutorial... we could all teach them a few tricks, right?!

Yeah, I don't really get the "removing the skin" part. Not really necessary for that spider design. It will just make the design dry out faster....
I was thinking that very same thing. Silliness, just plain silliness. I say you send them your tutorial Ryan! It's perfect and very detailed. I actually sent the link to lots of my friend's who previously used the poke hole method. They will never see carving as the same now. :D
By SuperSonic
The horror! THE HORROR!!! Did anyone notice that the design was very hard to see on that spider pumpkin. That side was hideous for carving.

Also, slicing of the outer layer of skin weakens the clarity of the final design. I have noticed this on alot of kins that I see in the neighborhood.

The worst part was this "Using a fiercely sharp knife with the blade pointing away from you, cut along those lines, into the flesh. Angle the knife slightly inwards: if you cut down vertically, the lid might fall into the pumpkin."

MIGHT! MIIGHT!! dumba** it WILL fall in. I can say this from past mistakes. :oops:

God and those patterns were hideous too.
By ghostface
:shock: You would think he would lose a finger!.... Or 2..... or 3.....
By Hottie McNaughty
ghostface wrote::shock: You would think he would lose a finger!.... Or 2..... or 3.....
I know I would!
By Mistress_of_Halloween
That's the saddest thing I have ever seen.

:shock: :shock: :shock: