Hey, what's new with you? Tell us about yourself.
By zombombie
So last night I ended up in hospital. While making a prop to go with this years costume my hand slipped and I slit my finger open with a stanley knife. It was so close to my nail, it's practically in my nail bed, that stitches weren't viable. So instead I have small strips pulling my flesh back together. I'm right handed and it happened to my left so my carving shouldn't be impaired thankfully :)

I'm still going to attempt to make my prop mind you, but this time, I'll be VERY careful.

So a warning to all - Halloween can be scary and blood filled, even when it's 23 days away!!
By GUS
big jesse!

..the butterfly strips are excellent, make sure if you haven't already been given them you get a pack of latex finger johnny's in order to allow you to more or less carry on with life unemcumbered whilst it's healing (also allows showering) ..latex glove also pretty good.

(I cut the tip off my finger early this year / late last year, ..again)
By S.A.M
Yikes, sounds nasty :( Sorry to hear about your accident ez, a cautionary warning for us all indeed. I hope it heals all right and isn't causing you too much pain.
By GUS
common sense!, get some at the hospital, or surgery.
& i'm serious about the finger johnny's they're very helpful at keeping it covered but the rest of your hand useable especially as healing.

I've only just stuffed both items into my mountain (& playpark) first-aid kit, so useful for getting back on a trail or similar.
the other thing to seal the glove is a small reel of 3m micropore tape (what I use on pumpkins also for stencils)
..did they kit you our with a finger bandage? ..the sort that buckles ot straps to your wrist, to keep the actual bandage beneath clean.

..it's going to be a few weeks so if not ..sort it!
By ghostface
That does sound nasty! :( Hopefully you'll ffeel better before Halloween!!
By monstermash
You silly sausage EZ! I will be extra careful during my visit to the big sharp knife and slippery floor factory then.
By SuperSonic
Ohh man that must suck! Hope you get better soon, better not impede your carving abilities :)
By mechanik63
ouch, hope it heals quick :D i wear a pair of kevlar gloves on the hand i'm not cutting with has saved me countless stitches
By paddy_babe
Glad it wasn't your carving hand EZ! (read it and had a 'phew' moment!) sucks your hurt though, hope you feel better :)
By hkzombie
Im pretty sure it will heal fast! The hand has a miraculous way of multiplying the skin cells in the speed of light to get it to repair and close. Plus, as long as you clean it or put some neosporin you should be good :D

I havent start carving yet but I halfed a burger yesterday and the blunt knife did get etched across my finger. I was expecting more than ketchup to be on my plate but it was false alarm :lol:
By GUS
EZ, neosporin is a lovely little gel / cream that whups the backside off savlon, it's a right potent mix, ..(again always kept in my first aid kit) super stuff, rapid heal with that is very likely.
HK not available over here unless ordered via hyperdrug or similar (or knowing someone on usaf base who will oblige).
By Chewy
oh man... those box cutters can be wicked eh? sharp & so easy to slice things with.

I slipped with one on boxing day a few years ago & carved a 3" long valley (that was also just shallow enough to not damage underlying structures) into the palm of my hand.

To add insult to the 14 stitches i ended up needing, i told them i'd sliced it with a box cutter, which the ER reported as a knife wound. Yes sir, I also had a visit from an RCMP member before they'd let me leave the hospital.

SIGH!

...be careful out there!
By GUS
Chewy wrote:oh man... those box cutters can be wicked eh? sharp & so easy to slice things with.

I slipped with one on boxing day a few years ago & carved a 3" long valley (that was also just shallow enough to not damage underlying structures) into the palm of my hand.

To add insult to the 14 stitches i ended up needing, i told them i'd sliced it with a box cutter, which the ER reported as a knife wound. Yes sir, I also had a visit from an RCMP member before they'd let me leave the hospital.

SIGH!

...be careful out there!
This why I tended to use vets to stitch me up, or i'd have had far too much time explaining to police forces.

Butterfly plasters are a wonderful thing to keep to hand to seal off fresh wounds (of certain types) ..mountain biking in the wild etc.

& especially in the car 1st aid kit(s) where there's so much chance of glass cuts., kept alongside some saline solution for quick cleaning of wounds.