Hey, what's new with you? Tell us about yourself.
By GUS
Very rough & only willing to spend a few hours on it, however thought I needed a better vehicle for pumpkins than twitter photo doo-dads.
will let you know when it's roughly finished, non professional & downright shoddy but open for viewing.

Yes of course i'm plugging ZP :roll:
Simply wish i'd taken photo's of everything i'd ever carved I only photograph a few & I guess you've seen most of them.
By GUS
ok it's crap, it's unfinished but it's live, uk carving presence on the www!
wonders will never cease.

That's a whole 6 hrs of not knowing what i'm doing so far folks!

go throw rocks, ..in my defense I haven't sorted copyrighting of photos yet it's really just a test with some shots found on my pc... not final ..& yes i'll be saying that for a long time to come. :lol: :wink:

http://pumpkinpalooza.weebly.com/

Even the title was a 10 second hack job! ..it'll do.
By zombombie
Pumpkinpalooza! Such a great name :)

Loving the site Gus, hopefully it gets UKers more interested in carving. And if you need any UK input or help from up here you know you can just ask and I'll do what I can :)
By GUS
thanks folk's.
It is very raw But after my dealings with mr site, which was a nightmare sometime back & a bit of a rip off,I had this site recommendedd out of the blue & thought I'd have a go, so this is actually site no 2 another one being formatted for the wifes hobby of novelty cake making, (constructive criticism by me) ..so please feel free to be brutally honest as to it's shortcomings, I decided to upload it in order to see how swish / fast it was compared to mr site, now have to pad it out (refine) find a decent copyright program for photo's s when I put decent photo's on it doesn't hinder the pics.
As I don't really take many photo's of stuff (despite numerous camera's) I won't have a decent collection going up.
I don't know how many pages can be popped in, so it's all fly by wire...
However I did think a resources contact section for anyone who is daft enough to wish to do corporate / press work regionally.

It is a free utility & my instinct for this site is all good thus far.
It strikes me that there is no real point of contact for media enquiries & the inevitable last minute PR for the "month" of October, so As I know where WE Brit's hang out in the run up, it seems a good idea to see who is active & might be up for possible work to promote the fun of carving if not busy with work, or just busy.

To be brutally honest the magazine work I got involved in last year was a complete farce, so much so & so scummy a level of journo-ing that I would like to have more of an element of control before taking something on or sucking in my not inconsiderable girth & taking one for the cause! :wink:
Stats .."meh" ..we need a foundation to build on in the uk so I'd better learn about optimization & meta tags, ..any pointers please, jump in.

Also, & for the record I'm not a fan of a heavy "personal" web presence on the web, think that privacy is good overall so for contacts & to simplify i'd be using forum names as initial contact, even if that contact were as a visible site presence. so folks had a clue where it was coming from & what niche aspect of your life it pertained to.
By mesmark
Great job!

I think you might want to give up the free hosted account (or whatever weebly is) and go for it with your own .uk domain name. If you use weebly, you won't really own the website and all of the time and effort you put into it. You will be at their discretion.

If you own the domain name, you are still at the mercy of your host but they can't take the name away from you. You can always move to a new host and so the site, work, promotion, time, and energy will always be yours and under you control.

You can put advertisements on it, add a store, add applications and one day sell it if you want.

If you are just goofing around and have no real plans for a full on website, those free hosts are fine. However, if you think you'll be drawing traffic other than your closest friends, it's really worth the $7/month investment to do it right.
By Cheef
nice site Gus. Ill a link back on my own Blog.
By GUS
Thanks Mesmark, Cheef.

I will be adding & correcting as I go along, it's just to set up a few basics & add a page or 3 over the coming weeks.
As for Domain, yes after MR site wanting around £78 renewal the other year & all the probs that went with it, this was simply goofing around with a new format that I like, so will be registering a domain shortly, the palooza thing I like, & It is available AND used often in reference to pumpkins, so despite not thinking about it it may just stick.
The other ex domain user is a gun club that shoots pumpkins, so some conflict there..
I'll see in coming weeks.
By GUS
Thanks stoney, I think uk needs a presence without going over too much of what you guys have expertly covered in your how to's... which is where I'll direct to all 3 ...however one step at a time.

My intention is to dig out my own carves & have a few pointers but leave the meat to you lot, also to have a few folk to call upon if there are any regional requirements, (so uk'ers please feel free send me you contact details for any novel goings on & requirements to your locale).

I need to bust out my password & get on your forum stoney, however i'm racing against the clock to sort out my Cv for inclusion to a really nice job with a brand I used to work for, so changes & additions won't be instantaneous (also why I started low season)

Anticipate the only walkthrough i'll try is a kids one as thats what we are familiar with, shame I literally just had to throw out my last 3 kins! :cry:

I will go through your shading as an alternate to cut through, maintaining balance & presence, ..eventually!

I have no desire to get in on the stencil design, ..why would I eh!? :wink:

The site is simplicity itself & I'd recommend it in it's current form thus far to all & sundry as a free resource, the upgrades & transfer fee's are minimal, making for a very versatile simple format.
I haven't tried the shopping cart yet ((for another site)) so don't curse me if that's not 100%.
Overall it's very intuitive & I wish I'd had this years ago!
Weebly.com seem nice accomodating folk, it's got alot of backing so expect change as they will want to see eventual returns, however currently it rocks, hope the same can be said in 6 months time!

PS i could have done this if I was 10 yrs old! ..don't believe me it's truly drag & drop childsplay.. (after all you know how much of a doofus I am regarding uploading photo's) ..which go's to prove my point. :lol:
By GUS
Thanks, will do more as time allows, it's hard not to simply reproduce all the great stuff available at our few proper "haunts" resources, so having to really twist & turn in order to get it right (I hope).

Any suggestions greatly appreciated as to what I ought to stick up there that is core to the cause without wandering too far down the dark & dangerous path (you know what happens down there) :o
By GUS
RYAN! ...how much traffic does simply adding "halloween" in the site traffic increase flow do you think?
contemplating it, thought i'd consult the expert.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
GUS wrote:RYAN! ...how much traffic does simply adding "halloween" in the site traffic increase flow do you think?
contemplating it, thought i'd consult the expert.
You mean, placing the keyword "halloween" on your site for search engines too see? Well, it couldn't hurt I suppose. But it's a common word so I don't know if it would help your site be found much more frequently, in the internet sea of Halloween topics.

If you're referring to the fact that a spammer posted that word over and over on this forum today... his efforts were for naught because... A) his posts are now deleted, and B) search engine bots no longer crawl this forum. So spammers are barking up the wrong pumpkin vine.

By the way, I haven't had a chance to properly look over your site GUS, but I shall. Keep up the good work in the pumpkin world.
By GUS
ah right! :lol: I noted his posts were deleted but his membership is still active? or is that simply lag in the system.
I knew before i'd seen his posts he was spam,, & thought the 3 posts needed answering so if he was watching he'd know the game was up.
Such an increase of spam of late.
I'd love to see the profile characteristic of this sort of person who chooses to post spam for a living! ..anyone help there?
& how does it pay exactly?

:?