Hey, what's new with you? Tell us about yourself.
By quixotic
Hey monstermash, thanks for the heads up on where the pumpkins are, i'll see how my brothers are this year, if they don't turn out then i'll be making a trip I think, i've not seen how my brothers are growing this year, i'll try and get pictures of his pumpkin patch next time i'm at his allotment :D
By monstermash
Ive only managed to grow 3 this year seeing as its my first time so i will definately need to be buying some! How many are you planning on carving this year?
By quixotic
I'm not sure, it all depends on how many my brother ends up growing, we had too many last year as it was only me carving, I got help gutting them but I think around 6 went to waste, we just put them out in the garden anyway next to the giant garden spider we made. Last year was my first time carving like that, I maybe done one pumpkin before that and it was the usual pumpkin faces and I didn't know how long the pumpkins would last so I think I started around the 27th last year and kept them them in our summerhouse in the back garden where it was freezing, I just put vaseline inside and in all the parts that were carved which seemed to work well as I thought some of the designs would shrivel up but I also put cling film over the front too so I think that helped.

Good job for atleast getting three! I think they can be quite tough to grow as I know some of my brothers got infected and I think you have to spot it quick incase it spreads to the others, atleast now you've grown some you'll know more next year when you do it :D
By monstermash
You sound just like me. Last year was my first time doing proper patterns. I was all on my own carving aswell and did about fifteen on the day before. I was bloody knackered!

Whatever you do, don't waste any this year. If you've got too many i will be glad to take them off your hands :P :lol:
By quixotic
15 in one day?! I think I done about 16 altogether and that was over days, my hand hurt for about a week after Halloween haha, you must be pretty quick at carving! I wish the pumpkins would gut themselves, would make everything alot quicker, atleast my mum should get pretty good compost in her compost bins with all the pumpkin that went into them.

If we have too many this year I will let you know, if you're prepared to come get them then you can have them.
By monstermash
You know, I can't remember how I did it either. I'm sure it was 15 in one day, maybe two days. Of course i will come and collect any pumpkins lol! If they are big enough to carve i will take 'em :lol:

I think if I was you i'd keep them to myself, I know there will be too many great patterns to pick from this year.
By GUS
Quality, not speed!
Speed comes i guess through familiarity & not having to carve funkins (bless em) but real actual pumpkins without a leathery hide.
By quixotic
Hey KILLER KLOWN, it certainly seems that way :wink:
By quixotic
There's only so many I can carve monstermash :P no one else in my family does them, I dont' think they have the patience. I asked my brother yesterday how the pumpkins were doing, I think we need more rain for them to swell up more, it's not really rained lately, which is odd for Scotland! and I think the plants are going to die soon aswell but some of the pumpkins are the same size as those massive ones I posted in a previous picture.
By quixotic
Have you tried a funkin GUS? I can see the appeal of them as they are lasting but it wouldn't be Halloween without real ones!
By quixotic
Right when I say we need more rain for the pumpkins to get bigger, it starts pouring! might need to try this more often in the run up to Halloween :D
By matspud
I like the longevity of funkins but I don't like carving them.
By quixotic
Are they not easier to carve than real ones matspud? i've never seen any in the UK or i'd buy one to try.
By GUS
quixotic wrote:Have you tried a funkin GUS? I can see the appeal of them as they are lasting but it wouldn't be Halloween without real ones!
Have I tried a funkin?! :lol: :lol: :lol:
(my Garage is full of them)