Hey, what's new with you? Tell us about yourself.
What does everyone do in their professional career? Sometimes, especially around this time of year, it seems like we are all full time minions, but I know we all have regular lives that we must lead, and something that brings home the bacon... So what is you're area of expertise?

I work in the sports media field, primarily with the NASCAR racing series. My usual duties are working in the garage area, and installing small telemetry and gps systems that are wired to the on-board computers via sensors, and monitor the race cars location on track, and transmit actual engine and scoring data to a broadcast truck that we then use to build digital graphics for TV broadcast purposes. Our company is also responsible for creating the "yellow line" effect in most any college or NFL football game you watch. When I am not in the garage doing that, I am setting up the cameras and running a variety of programs in the production truck as everything goes live to air. It can be pretty chaotic at times, but we try and do our best to bring the action to your living room :wink: heres the link that better explains my work... http://www.sportvision.com/motorsports" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; We do much more than just racing and football as you will see.
Honestly nothing right now, as I am jobless. What I took in school though was Cabinet Making. I'm attempting a job in that or in Forklift driving. And if all else fails, I'll be a lifer at some retail store :lol:
Good thread, chuckwagon.

In the past I've done all kinds of jobs, working as a laborer on building sites, sorting and tagging dirty clothes in a laundry (yuk, the stories I could tell!) making casts at a dental lab, caretaker/janitor... All to support myself while starting out and building up a portfolio as a painter and textile designer, which I now am.

The comment I often get from people is "That must be relaxing". It isn't! Not when you make a living at it. It can even be very stressful at times, when some piece of work is just refusing to go right and the deadline is approaching fast. This is most stressful when it's a portrait and you know you have to please a whole bunch of different people -the subject, their relatives, friends, the media. On those occasions I can feel like going back to those other jobs.

But mostly I love it. It''s what I always wanted to do, even when I was a kid.

The Cabinet Making sounds good, Supersonic. I hope you find some work that you'd enjoy doing.
As of know I am a Crew Member at McDonald's. I know it is not the best of jobs, and most people wouldn't admit to having it. However it is my first job, and I'm proud that I could finally get one after searching for one. I was originally going to go to college, and then saw the big bill. That's when that went out the window. As for the future I have a couple of dreams: 1. To write and be published, and 2. To own my own all year round Halloween and Magic Shop.
Hey. Nothing wrong with working at McDonalds. That paid my way through my first couple years of college.

I work for a City planning department, reviewing plans for new developments, etc. I am also the "mud cop" making sure construction operations are not polluting the storm water system of the City (federally mandated program).

My degree is in petroleum engineering, but I quit doing that after being laid off in the oil bust of 1986.

Pretty exciting stuff, huh?
I'm really liking this topic. It's fun getting to know more about all of you after spending the last couple years talking to y'all almost strictly about Halloween topics. :D

As for me, I graduated with a degree in Sports, Arts, and Entertainment Management about 2 years ago. So far I've been working as an administrative assistant at a home care agency. I'm still looking for something different, but most places say I don't have enough experience in the field. I would really like to something with either music (because I've always wanted to perform and took years of singing lessons and even did a few musicals), or work for a charity. Guess I just have to wait and see what happens. I'm still young!

Most of my free time however is spent doing crafts. I'm always looking for projects to do around the house. I love to crochet, latch hook, sew, etc. And the majority of my time is probably spent reading while doing all those things! :lol:
I work as a 'Systems Analyst', which is a nice term for a hired geek. I do web design, VFP development, SQL Server management, ASP.NET development, and am the resident DBA. (Database Admin). I started out in life as a tech who custom built PCs and did old school HTML design, and have evolved from there. I also dabble in networking and wiring.
For many years now I've been a professional at spending my husband's money. :thumbsup: I also do makeup on others part time, mostly for weddings ans sometimes for the local theater. Doing makeup is NOT something I want to turn into a career. To me, makeup is fun, work is not and I don't want to turn something fun into work. Before I worked at Jewelry Television which airs all over the states, kinda like a home shopping network for loose gemstones and jewelry. I started out in the call center taking orders and moved up to show production. Oh the stories I could tell about some of the people that called the call center...
RavensDestiny wrote:makeup is NOT something I want to turn into a career. To me, makeup is fun, work is not and I don't want to turn something fun into work. .
Good for you. However, having seen your work on Pinterest and your blog I can tell you that you could make a lot of money doing it professionally. It's really creative and unusual. I would hire you in an instant. Not that I wear make up.........these days :wink:
nosferatu wrote:
RavensDestiny wrote:makeup is NOT something I want to turn into a career. To me, makeup is fun, work is not and I don't want to turn something fun into work. .
Good for you. However, having seen your work on Pinterest and your blog I can tell you that you could make a lot of money doing it professionally. It's really creative and unusual. I would hire you in an instant. Not that I wear make up.........these days :wink:
Thanks, Nos! That is far too nice, really. There are MUCH better out there than me. Some people are absolutely amazing at it. I get bored with it sometimes and move on to other things, eventually coming back to it. It's just a hobby.
im not sure i understand the question? not a minion! :wink: :lol:

i work in the concert/ theatre industry i have gone on a few tours. i just got off one last month in fact. during the winter i tend to come home to do local crew things and run my theatre.
What fun!

I do a couple of different things. During the day I work as a paraprofessional at my children's elementary school teaching children how to read. I LOVE it. It is very rewarding to see how the children grow and become more skilled. And the hugs from children I've taught over the years makes my day.

Off and on I also work as a stage manager for local theatre companies. I really enjoy this! I love dipping my fingers in all aspects from the costumes and props to the set and organizing. My last production was Wild West Shakespeare: Romeo & Juliet, a Romantic Comedie. The best parts of that was coloring and flavoring the poison bottles. I did everything from purple root beer to blue pumpkin. Except on the last night: it was vinegar. :twisted: This winter I'll be working on Annie Get Your Gun.

For just one of my hobbies I spend a great deal of time trooping with the 501st Legion, the premier Star Wars costuming club where we use our costumes to raise funds and bring smiles to children from all disabilities and walks of life. I am a happy snowtrooper.
ZombiePumpkins wrote:I like this topic, good stuff. We always share our Halloween art, but I am realizing that I don't know what most of your do for a living (or even hobby). Keep the posts coming.

Ryan, I'm curious what you do when you aren't planning all of this awesomeness for us. Though I'm sure it does take the better part of the year to finalize things. :D