Chronicle your costume creation and share photos of your disguise.
So this year my costume is...(drum roll please)...

A Steampunk Demon Hunter!

So far I've got my goggles

And I've got a weapon... Now firstly, let me apologise for not taking pictures of my progress with this. I got excited and did work on it before I even thought that I should be documenting my progress.

So I started out with a Nerf N-Strike Maverick

And modified it so it looks like this now

I sanded it all over so that I could paint it and I sanded off the Nerf logo and the N-Strike logo at the barrell.

As you can see I added some cog details, put some ribbon around the handle to give it a bit of a different look and feel, and added a cog to the front. I also glued on 2 extra small barrell details above the actual barrell. I used a silver pen on the "screws" so that they looked real, giving the gun a more metallic, "reallistic" look. I feel as though there could be more on the top of the gun, where the sights are. It seems a little bare. Thoughts?

So far I think (seeing as it's only June) I'm doing pretty well for Halloween this year. As for the rest of my costume I was thinking either a flat cap or a bowler hat, I have a brown leather jacket that I think would work well, a shirt, waistocat, a tie or cravat, trousers and boots. Accessories I was going to include were a pocket watch, a pipe, and a prosthetic scar on my face - probably "over" one of my eyes so I could incorporate one white contact lens.

So what do you creative and lovely lot think? Anything you'd change? Anything I've missed which I should try and incorporate?

Thanks for looking :)
By zombombie
So forgot to say, I have some costume jewellery rosary beads and cross to ward off the vampires. I was trying to think of other weapons (a knife? A sword?) and other things I could carry (a small bottle of holy water? Different religious objects?). All help is appreciated :)
By MooBoo
I love steampunk! The gun looks great, i really like the colours and the details you've added. As for the top looking a little bear, i could imagine a series of magnifing glasses to use as a sight focus, but it looks great as is.
I think a bowler hat compared to flat cap would be better, or a top hat!
You could also use a gun belt/shoulder belt but instead of ammo, have small vials of holy water or stakes attached. Thats all i've got for now, hope that helps a little. :D
By zombombie
We're on the same page MooBoo! I was thinking of a holster or ammo belt. love the idea of vials of holy water. I have no idea how I'd make such a thing though.

I think a flat cap or bowler over a top hat because, as a demon hunter, a top hat seems rather impractical ;)
Last edited by zombombie on Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
By MooBoo
Hhmm, im not sure how to make them either but if you dont mind parting with a bit of cash there are some nice vials on ebay. I just had a quick look and they are quite reasonable prices for either glass or plastic ones, an then you could always steampunk them up a bit. :D
By ghostface
MooBoo you have some great ideas! I was thinking the same thing about the ammo belt!

EZ, the gun looks fantastic! Well done my fellow ZP!er, well done. The Steampunk idea is great. Can't wait to see the finished product! :)
By pagemaster1993
Just a question from a Nerfer. Did you do the Half Barrel mod to the Maverick?
By MooBoo
Oohhh! Just had a thought about the belt, depending on you sewing skills (or recruiting someone to do it, lol) you could take an extra wide belt and then sew on a smaller strap (from an old bag or smaller belt) creating loops as you go big enough for the vials to fit in. You could also take some of those bulky pockets from some cargo pants or an old handbag and attach those on too! Hope that makes sense, it does to me! :lol:
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Quite a few replies to this topic already. See what happens when you show off some solid Halloween construction?! Edinburghzombie, I think you've got us all inspired by your early planning. Goggles, check! Gun, check! You're ticking off boxes one by one, and it's only June.

I'm familiar with that Nerf gun, I've had the pleasure of using it for target practice (as well as being shot in the face with it by someone else). Who would have guessed that it could be converted from colorful futuristic plastic, to metallic retro-tech.

We'll forgive you for the lack of progress photos (as long as you recognize your oversight, hehe). I get the idea from your description and the final photos. With mostly a paint job and some attached metal bits, it's almost unrecognizable as a stock Nerf gun. Genius use of an existing prop, repurposing it as something new. That's how a smart Halloweener makes good use of time.

I have a question: does the paint job effect the functionality as a Nerf gun, or do all the parts still click and swivel like they used to?

I like the suggestions others have left. MooBoo had a great idea about magnifying glasses to use as a sight focus. Thinking about lenses and seeing the goggles you already have, this image from Sleepy Hollow came to mind. I'm not suggesting you use anything like this, just sharing the picture as an example how silly yet awesome old-timey tech can look.

I too like the idea of an ammo belt of some sort. Could hold those holy water vials or small daggers. Take a look at a Google image search for "steampunk bandolier" and tell me you don't want all of that. :)

Oh, and regarding the choice of hat - sometimes it's more about what looks cool, rather than what is practical. Why do you think comic superheroes wear capes? If you think a tall hat is impractical for fighting demons, just try telling that to Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.

By pagemaster1993
Edinburghzombie wrote:I didn't do any mods to the gun Pagemaster, the work on the gun is strictly aesthetic.

Thanks for that Batgirl, I'll need to see if that's available in the UK!
Here is a link to the half barrel mod if you are interested. It allows the barrel to come out farther like a real revolver would.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEiY96JzlMM&feature=plcp
By Zombie Pumpkins!
pagemaster1993 wrote:Here is a link to the half barrel mod if you are interested. It allows the barrel to come out farther like a real revolver would
"Well.. I don't know how to fix that. I'll do it later." *SMASH* :lol:

To me, I'm not sure these gun mods do much to really change the functionality of the gun. Seems like it just increases the chance of the gun not working correctly.

For the purpose of a Halloween costume, indeed the goal is probably more on the aesthetic. Thinking back on my many Halloween costumes, I've worn things that impaired my vision, breathing, my ability to use my hands, and even my ability to walk. But the costumes photograph well at least! Ah, how we suffer for the art.