Show off your pumpkin pics and tells us about the experience.
2011 HAS BEGUN!!!!!!

Love the Fright Night Pattern --- so --- last night I grabbed a fakey and carved --- took some photos along the way.

PHOTO 1
scanned it to a .pdf -- used Microsoft Publisher to crop and size it

PHOTO 2
Ahh --- the anticipation of waiting for the printing to be completed was killing me

PHOTO 3
Used a full label sheet for this carve --- I find this is a huge time saver when you are dealing with fake pumpkins.

PHOTO 4
Cut the extra stuff off and it is now ready to hit the pumpkin

PHOTO 5
PATTERN ON
Don't know why but every time I stick a pattern on a pumpkin that freaking Lionel Richie song pops into my head

Stuck on you
I've got this feeling down deep in my soul that I just can't lose
Guess I'm on my way
Needed a friend
And the way I feel now I guess I'll be with you 'til the end
Guess I'm on my way
Mighty glad you stayed

PHOTO 6
I KNOW I am no the only one that gets a wee bit of pleasure when you stick the pumpkin for the first cutImage

PHOTO 7
All done ---- I used a saw for this --- I did pick up a Versa Tool and will at some point this season use it - but - tradition is a big part of the process for me and when I forgo the real pumpkins, paper patterns and tape, poke and stick etc.... you just got to hold on to something.

PHOTO 8 and 9
Can't really call this stuff "guts" maybe scraps works?Image

PHOTO 10
Close up of the finished-lights-still-on masterpiece! Image

PHOTO 11
DAMN - I LOVE Carving Pumpkins!!!!! Image

Great start to the season --- can't wait for more Thanks Ryan

Mike

PS
Sorry about adding a reference to Lionel Richie I know that I am hugging the line which could get me banned from these forums --- will not happen again. :wink:
Last edited by MIKECOZ8 on Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:00 pm, edited 8 times in total.
By Doh
Great write up...and the carve looks great!
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Beats me... I've never seen that pattern before.

MIKECOZ8 -- that came out awesome! You made that design fit nicely on that pumpkin, I like how it really fills the space. It was also interesting to see your process. Thanks for including all the photos, that can help others think of ways to experiment with other techniques.

So are you excited for Halloween now or what? I suspect this is only the first of many for you this year?
By GUS
Beautifully done Mike! welcome back BTW! ..good start
By St0ney
Awesome Post !

I just got, I don't want to use the word DONE - LOL
Because I'm still adding to it a Tutorial for Shaded Sticker Paper. on a foam Kin.

A few things From my Tut to add here in regards to Sticker Paper.
Used for a Cut-out Patten

1. Making the Pattern Fill the Front of the Pumpkin
I have a tutor (okay Ryan - it's Tutorial) LOL

I use a poster program to Blowup Every Single Pattern
Even if it gives me just an 1/8th More

if Some of the pattern hits a 2nd Page,
using sticker paper, is no Issue- you just Stick that piece onto the pumpkin with the Rest.

this Really Helps Especially if it's a Wide Pattern

I use it For ALL Cut-out Patterns Too.

It's the First one on this Page
http://www.stoneykins.com/How_To.html

If your having a problem Laying the pattern on, Add just a Little water to the Front (inked) Side, Peel and place it on the pumpkin,

It will work better, to get it in the pumpkins Grooves.

BUT : make sure the water is Completely DRY Before Attcking the Pumpkin with your Saw / Dremel/ or Hot knife.

It's just enough to make it Damp
So it will only take a few minutes to Dry.

You can hit it with a Hair Dryer to Speed things up.

Lastly - Really do want to see how the sticker paper works out with a Hot-Knife, I never carved a Foam with a Hot knife.

So me trying it out, may not get good results.

SO let us know !

Again Awesome POST !!!
By monstermash
Nice carve and pics. Naughty naughty though! :wink: :P
By Ajax
Looking really good did you get that pattern on a medium size micheals pumpkin?
By Batgirl
That post made my day! Carving and Lionel Richie, two things that go so well together!! :wink:

Carve looks great!
By MIKECOZ8
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:.....So are you excited for Halloween now or what? I suspect this is only the first of many for you this year?
Ryan
This year feels a bit different -- not really sure why but I am sooooo looking forward to as many carves as possible!!!!!

Ajax wrote:Looking really good did you get that pattern on a medium size micheals pumpkin?
Ajax
Yep -- it was made with the 2011 Michael's medium sized pumpkin -- the walls felt different -- had a little "springy" feel to them -- as I carved I thought that it would break a few times
By Tkaraoke
It's hard to give him grief about posting a VIP pattern carving so far away from Halloween when it looks so well done! It's not until you see them carved that the pattern really pops.
By OrangeOrb
You did a fantastic job with a great pattern. I was wondering if it was hard to carve with a saw. I'll be doing my first foamies this yr, and can't get a VersaTool this year.
By GUS
It really, REALLY, rocks! ...congrats on an effective carve (& you Ryan)
By MIKECOZ8
OrangeOrb wrote:You did a fantastic job with a great pattern. I was wondering if it was hard to carve with a saw. I'll be doing my first foamies this yr, and can't get a VersaTool this year.

I use the PM saws that were made for fake pumpkins their teeth are closer together --- if you carve real pumpkins with saws then you will have no problems -- in fact -- I bet you will make less mistakes and really "cut" down on the broken/cut through pieces
By MIKECOZ8
3 new additions

I have all the grinning Jacks / traditional pumpkin faces on the Michael's small pumpkins --- I like the look and they get into the nooks and crannies around the house.

~~~~THE PHANTOM~~~~