Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By Joey
So I'm looking for tips on organizing my carving tools. Right now I have a cardboard box: size 13 x 9.5 x 4 inches. And it holds everything well enough, it's just not very organized.

I've been looking into trying to find something better, but I haven't found what I want. I've been to art stores, hardware stores, and sports stores, to no avail. The reason I like my cardboard box is because it fits pumpkin masters books in it along with everything else. All the toolboxes and fishing boxes I've found are either to small to hold them or monstrously huge with more little drawers then I need.

So I come to you asking for help!
By Patti
I use a plastic two drawer filing cabinet with wheels. It goes in the attic when we're not using it.

I keep several copies of each of my patterns in individual manilla envelopes in one drawer (the bottom, otherwise the whole thing will fall over) and tools, pens, carbon paper, scissors, etc in the top.

It's not completely organized, but that's because I'm horrible at organization. If you have a lot of patterns it works great.
By Pumpkin King
I used a sterlite container to hold all my tools. I have several large three ring binders that I have my pumpkin patterns catergorized by so that it is easier to locate them. At some point I am going to scan all my patterns on to dvdr so that I have my backup copy, as well as take up less space.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I finally got my hands on one of the orange/black toolboxes I've been looking for (about $10 at Home Depot). A fitting carry case for this Patch Master.

This won't be confused with my Christmas or Easter toolbox. Nope, orange and black mean HALLOWEEN! A few ZP stickers make this a branded box:

Small compartments in the lid hold the basics. Large saws, medium saws, small saws, and pokers/drills:

Inside, the top tray holds the larger tools. Scoops, scrapers, kid-friendly saws, punches, markers, Warren Pro carving tool and PM's Power Master Saw:

Deep inside, I store all the big (and miscellaneous) stuff. Candles, lighters, battery powered LED lights, Pumpkin Gutter, toothpicks, Vaseline, cotton swabs, flashlight, big knives, paper towels, tape, scissors, etc:

Oh, and the printed stencils are stored in plastic sleeve pages, in a 3-ring binder:

So how does everyone else store the tools of our trade?
Last edited by Zombie Pumpkins! on Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
By 2manyferrets
Aww I love your toolbox!!! Mine is close but it was a toolbox I used fer a Med First Aid project for school. I got it at Wallmart for $5.

And I thought I would add I ove this spoon for gutting out pumpkins and melons, I bought it at US foodservice while I was shopping for work. I think it was $5 for three of them and its strong and works great.

I do the same thing with my patterns. I have 3 books. One that is categorized into animals, halloween, sports, and misc. the other is cartoon characteras, and the third is special occasions, weddings, valentines, and Thanksgiving.

By Tkaraoke
Man, you two have your stuff together! I'm going to have to get on the ball and put all my patterns and tools in one place so I can find them. I've already lost my first set of Warren carving knives AND my pumpkin gutter. I can't believe how unorganized I am. ACK!
By mesmark
I have 4 heavy duty tubs, with clip on lids that I store most of my Halloween stuff in. Among my 'stuff' I have my tools. Nothing special just a big tupper wear type container and everything is bound together with rubber bands. Saws, scoops, pokers ... I bought a bunch of Pumpkin Master kits to use at my carving party.

I really only use about three tools, none of them are pumpkin specific products. An actual saw, a ladel (thins the walls and removes guts better than anything else I've used,) a thumbtack.
By Pumpkin King
Right now I am using a big tupperware container to hold all my tools but I am thinking about getting one of the tool boxes to get it a little more organized. I have three huge 3 inch binders with all my patterns that I have collected over the years organized by topics. At some point on one of the "offseasons" I plan to scan all the images on a blank dvd so I have a backup copy. I figure I have close to a thousand patterns, but I haven't counted to know for sure. ZP patterns are my favorite though.
By belli
YAY!!:D I'm so glad you were able to find an orange toolbox. We have 3 home depots in my area and I had searched two of the stores. The two I checked had the new gray ones like you found at your store. I asked one of the associates and he said it was a seasonal item so I was thinking they might come out with them again in October. I was going to check the third store this week but no need to now. Yours is very similar to mine. The stickers look cool on the box and there will be no way to confuse this one with any of your other toolboxes.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Sounds like boxes, bins, and binders are common sorting methods for the truly devoted carvers. For the rest of ya, get yourself organized and show the world how serious (or obsessed) you are with your craft.

And thanks for looking at your local Home Depots, Belli. I appreciate the research. If these are really a seasonal item, those who might be interested should make plans to hit the hardware haven at Halloween.
By matspud
That is one smart toolbox. I have one that is black with a orange lid that doesn't look that good that I might start to use. Currently I store most of my tools in one of those little sets of drawers that are used for storing nails etc but carry round the stuff I use in one of the small orange boxes from the Perfect Pumpkin kit.
Patterns are stored in ring binders ( photocopies). in plastic drawers (originals) and on computer. :D
By Pumpkin King
I went to Home Depot the other day and picked up two workforce tool boxes for $5 a piece. They are similiar to the one Ryan has pictures of except the top of the tool box is a clear lid that pops up with storage spaces and when you open up the main lid the inside tray is just like Ryan's. The tool box is gray with yellow buckles and handle. I'll try to figure out a way to put pictures up at some point.
By GUS
...Aaaah! I've seen the light!

(it was orange & pumpkin shaped actually)

right, finger out, find assorted kit, & store it!
..now wheres that spare toolbox? I know I left it somewhere!
By GUS
FINALLY found my warren pro tools!

..in the loft (had been cutting insulation foam boards very well indeed)
..yay shame about the last cack-handedly casrved kin that suffered tho)