Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
By CorpseBride
So my neighborhood is holding their first annual 'Spooky Yard Contest' this year! The winner gets a $200.00 gift card to Rona! Looks like it may be time to turn up the volume a tiny bit. I could sure use that gift card when I get possession of my new house :D

Does anyone else's neighborhoods do something like this?
Last edited by CorpseBride on Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Chewy
Our teensey chunk of Surrey (informally called not quite south surrey) usually does an annual thing for halloween. Havent seen any details on it this year yet though...

Not that it matters, i have zero chance of winning anyway. There's a fellow in behind me that does an epic display every year.

We love visiting it!
By ghostface
That sounds like fun!!! Wish I had something like that in my neighborhood!!!
By pagemaster1993
I wish we had that in our neighborhood, but it seems that only a house another block down and mine are decorated so far. I was hoping that this new place would be better for Halloween.
By monstermash
I too wish we had something like this here. I think i'm the only one in the whole village that decorates to our levels. Ive seen the odd pumpkin here and there but nothing like you lot over in the US of A.
By sloaner
monstermash wrote:I too wish we had something like this here. I think i'm the only one in the whole village that decorates to our levels. Ive seen the odd pumpkin here and there but nothing like you lot over in the US of A.
Don't forget us in the great white north :D
By monstermash
sloaner wrote:
monstermash wrote:I too wish we had something like this here. I think i'm the only one in the whole village that decorates to our levels. Ive seen the odd pumpkin here and there but nothing like you lot over in the US of A.
Don't forget us in the great white north :D
Ah yes, our big, little brothers above the US. You carry the torch for us in the way of all things Halloween and we look after the Queen for you. :lol:
By Raven
The Spirit Halloween Facebook page is currently having a haunted house photo contest. Some people's yard decorations are amazing. Check it out if you have a FB page.

I haven't seen a really nicely decorated house in a very long time. Where we go trick-or-treating with our niece and nephews every 3rd or 4th house might have a carved pumpkin and a few decorations or lights around the front door area. I haven't seen any graveyards or massive displays in a long time. :cry:
By CorpseBride
This is a first for my neighborhood as well. No one at all ever decorates around here, but now they just might! But considering I have been collecting Halloween loot for years I think it may take them awhile to accumulate as much as I have. Never say never though! It's not over till the Zombie gets his head chopped off :D
By CorpseBride
So didn't win the Spooky Yard Contest. I am little bummed. The house that won had 3 strands of pumpkin lights, some wall coverings, 4 mini skeletons in their tree and 1 tombstone. You could tell it was kid decorated...which is FANTASTIC! But...the prize isn't for kids. It was for 200 dollars to Rona (hardware store). Really?? My neighbors were so pissed they wrote a letter to management and signed it. :lol: It really doesn't bother me that I didn't get the gift card, but I know the prize won't be going to the kids...THAT is what bothers me.

Anywho here is the display! I didn't end up getting pics of everything but this gives you the idea :D

By nosferatu
That is so cool. Love the skull projection and your lighting on The Pumpkin King makes him very sinister.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Eh... your display is okay....

Haha, just kidding. You rock!

I get what you're saying... it's great that a kids effort could be recognized, but the kid doesn't even get to use the hardware store reward. How about the people running the contest give YOU the adult prize, and give a different kid-friendly prize as an honorable mention to the other yard.

I think you could win a contest with only your pumpkin rot beastie, or your pumpkin collection, or the body parts, or the projection, or the... you get the idea. As a whole, it's unstoppable.
By monstermash
Pumpkin rot alone should have won the $200. Thats shocking! I'm sure the ToTers thoroughly enjoyed looking at your display, I know I have. RD is right, we all need to move onto one street big toghether. The decorations and carvings would be unbeatable.
By MooBoo
How could you not win? :o I love the spider sacks, they look creepy, like the spiders are about to drop on you! And pumpkin rot amazing, especially with all the lighting!
By ghostface
I can't believe you didn't win! Your yard looks spooktacular!!! :D