Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
By mechanik63
i'm doing a giant spider web in the front of the house between my tree and a light pole and also on the roof between the carport and second story. my issue is the spiders, i want to make them super size and got black trash bags for the body and they seem to do pretty good for that. the legs have me stumped right now, i thought about using those pool noodles but even down here in the south im having a hard time finding some :( any one have any sugestions :?:
By CombichristGirl
pvc if you got it. dowl rods even small ones and beef em up. may be cut the garbabge bags and tape them to shape. not sure what else :)
By nosferatu
Foam pipe insulation might do the job. Lightweight yet sturdy. If you cut a chunk out of it then it will bend

By mechanik63
nos thats perfect it didnt even cross my mind and i was even at lowes today. and i did think of some broom sticks beefed up with trash bags or something ccg ( i somehow have an abundance of them laying around) but pipe insulation would fit perfectly and it being hollow i can cut a section like you said nos and i got some small rebar laying around at work i can bend a piece to hold it in place. thanks i often have the problem of tunnel vision when i start working on stuff
By CombichristGirl
:shock: wow i didnt even think of that either it would be perfect! :)
i dont feel bad i do that all the time lol hits head moments :lol:
By GUS
Mechanik, basic coat hangers will be fine, re-bar! wow that's hard work surely!?

try rootling through a wardrobe first for hangers even intertwine a few with a leatherman (well pliers) & as nos says cut a v groove for bends. save the cut for padding out (stuffing internally to keep everything tightly in place at the angle cut)
By mechanik63
the rebar we had laying round was only like 1/4" stuff, i couldnt find the right foam insulation so i went with pvc and basic fittings like CCB suggested working out really well so far :)
Last edited by mechanik63 on Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By nosferatu
That is gonna look spectacular when its finished!
By GUS
I love the manner in which you've constructed it making it easier to pack away for future use without cursing it! :lol:
By monstermash
It already looks terrifying. What materials will you be using to cover the legs?
By ghostface
Awesome!!!! Can't wait to see it when it is finished!!!! :D
By mechanik63
im thinking about leaving the legs just painted black, gonna probably do some spray foam at the joints to give them a better look, heres a few more shots of it been working on it today

the body glued and channeled
body fitted on the legs
and after all day shaping and doing the jaws

i'll put more up as i go glad ya'll are likeing it
By ghostface
Looks Great!!! :D
By MooBoo
Thats going to look great, and creepy when finished. :D
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Just looking at that is giving me shivers. I'm not a huge fan of things with multiple sets of legs. Well... when they are alive, that is. As a Halloween decoration, this is awesome. Even the blue block of foam with legs looks spooky and otherworldly.