Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
By mesmark
monstermash wrote:The scary eyes peeking through the gaps are great.
Yeah, those little peaking eyes are fun. The whole thing has turned out very Scooby-Doo-ish. I think it started with the cartoon faces on the trees.

I was asking my wife what she thought about some eyes peering out, and we both agreed that since it's a kids party that having the eyes in there would be fun. And maybe scary for them.
By mesmark
I think this might do it for the haunted house facade. I finished the doorway!

I drew a few different sketches for doorways but I finally just went with this simple looking one:

cut up my boards:

sanded them down to make them easier to paint and if you leave them rough like that (the ones on the right), they look more like stone after you paint them.

made them look like boards:

made some accessories:

painted everything:

and then put them together after they dried:

All in all, I think it's going to look good. It should complete the scene and not really draw too much attention to itself. Hopefully it brings some creepiness to the deal. It will be in the center after all.

Here's what I envisioned for the little shelf on the door frame:

We'll see how it looks on the day. I have 6 of those little lights, so I have a few to spare.

I set the door up and my daughter was checking it out. We started to hear something like a "Marry Ann" or a "Kerry Ann" but we couldn't make out which, so I told my daughter to go check it out while I posted the progress report.

By wookie66
Yeah im going to need you to fly out to Virginia next year and do my yard display, We have tons of Halloween stores here so you can let your imagination run wild.I went ahead and bought a plane ticket for next year so see you soon. :wink:
By SuperSonic
Dadja wrote:
mesmark wrote:No short cuts on details there.
In your work neither. That doorway is looking perfect!
Not much more to be said. Just plain fantastic! 8)
By keifferone
I am in total awe of the work you do. Amazing.
By sloaner
That looks so cool, I think you should just keep it up all year round lol. If I ever make decorations like this I will leave them up as long as I can, or until my wife starts to yell at me.
By mesmark
Well, I gave it a go today. I shaded and added some color to my backdrops. I'm not so happy with what happened but I think it was better than leaving them looking so pristine.

Here they are drying. Sorry, you are looking at them upside down.

I made a few more sheets as well, so that we can have a picture spot. I'd still love to make a window or two, but we'll just have to see.

The rest of the party, games and stuff seems to be coming along. I have quite a few people coming to help set up, so hopefully everything will go smoothly.

For inside the haunted house, I'm just going to wing it with other stuff I have. I think just being dark, spooky music (I made a 12 min. haunted house track) and sort of maze like, it will be fun.
By monstermash
Whats wrong with them? I can't see anything amiss. Having people to help you get prepared on the day will be a lifesaver. I'd say you've probably got just enough time left to make a few windows. If not there is alway a project for the off season.
By staticfurball
I cant wait to see it all put together...so cool!
By mesmark
monstermash wrote:Whats wrong with them? I can't see anything amiss.
Yeah ... I think I had imagined something a little better. I was thinking a little more subtle. But following my own advice, I didn't want to make the effects too subtle and have them not turn out for the pictures. Having the more natural shades should be good for the pictures and not be so blah and monotone come picture time.

They're good and I'm happier today. It might be the evening road trip that got me in a better mood :D

I am a little more excited about this set. It will be much more re-usable in future years. Easy to put together as a simple backdrop or door cover, and always fitting with any Halloween theme.
By mesmark
Ok, maybe this is it. I've done all that I originally wanted to do and a little more. here is the window:

starts with a plan:

Then you cut you pieces:

sculpt, sand, paint and put together to see how it looks:

If all is good, glue and finally shade:

I'm pretty happy with this. I thought maybe I might need two of these but since I made 2 trees, one window should be enough. Also, I made this out of leftover pieces and I don't have enough to make another full window. So, one it is.

One problem is the paint is a little glossy/shiny so the black part which should be emptiness might not look so empty. But, with the window sitting up and no flash, it seems OK. Even if people use a flash it probably won't carry. I assume they'll be 10-15ft from the window.
Last edited by mesmark on Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
By staticfurball
Just when I think you r done you pop up another amaazing piece to the scene. Man....I gotta get my hands on some of this foam!

The window is awesome, I love it.