Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
I'm kinda stuck this year guys... I am decorating a bigger yard/drive this year (my mother has kindly agreed I can use hers!) and I'll have different 'display bits' like ground breakers etc and was hoping to light them up (not big show lights but just so people can actually see what they are!) Last year I had the little stick on LED light thingys but I don't think they will work on the bigger scale. Any terms I can search for on ebay? Any cheap ideas? I can't afford display lights/theatre lights this year!! I was thinking cheap table lamps (think with the bendy neck like from Pixar) but sure they are suitable.... :)=
By monstermash
I use work lights with green disco bulbs inside. If you search ebay for something like inspection lamp you should see them. To hide the lights ive made boxes to look a bit like piles of leaves into which the light goes. The lights are roughly £7. Disco light bulbs are about £3.
I think that would be cheaper than buying desk lamps.
By CorpseBride
I just use flood lights with red bulbs. I buy them at wal-mart for about 15-20 dollars a piece. 4 of them light up my entire yard! They really do a fantastic job.
By paddy_babe
thanks guys, I never would have searched for 'inspection' or 'flood'! I'm off to ebay then :)
By GUS
LED floods are around £14 for a 10 watt emitter of considerable strength (the newer generation.

tough aluminium outdoor design (i love leds) rip down a security light & stick one of these up!

They are also have a fairly good water ingress rationg (ip) cover with different lighting gel papers to gt the colour desired.

if you cannot find the ones i'm on about later today i'll give you a link!
By paddy_babe
Like security lights? I am useless this year, I know what effect I want to get just not what I need to get it.... links would be great thanks, I'll be checking back tonight too. Btw I'll be ringing the farmer today too so fingers crossed :)
By GUS
No I said IF you can't find them, not to provide outright, you need to read a post properly PB, save me some time too! :?

input "10 watt led floodlight" on an ebay search.

they're single emitter led type (as in 1 led bulb)
By paddy_babe
Oh right sorry I thought you may have some watched/saved, I'm doing an ebay search for all sorts so will let you know what I come across :)

*edit* found some floodlights that would be perfect, not to expensive either! thank you! To change the colour do I change the bulbs or can I get away with coloured acetate in front of them? (Don't want them setting fire!)
By monstermash
You've still got plenty of time before the halloween week so i'd try acetate, painted glass, all sorts of different things before buy more bulbs. Its all trial and error. Safety first mind!!! :lol:
By GUS
acetate, leds are designed to run cool, behind glass, or are heat sink finned.

lets see what you've found.
By GUS
PB this is the unit i'm referring to which has developed over the past 12 months, many hundreds of listings for them in various ratings & wattages & prices.

the single LED is more advantageous over multiple, one good emitter in contrast to many soldered small led's (more to go wrong)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10W-SMD-LED-F ... 093wt_1002

always opt for a cool white vesion as it's brighter on the light spectrum in terms of overall output.

& also remember 10 watts led in this colour variant is much stronger than "warm" light that we're used to so will be better for casting shadows & pools of light.
By paddy_babe
These are what I found Gus,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10w-10watt-sm ... 2eb549f3a2

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10W-10Watt-LE ... 2c5e62b5c2

So I'm singing from the right page at least now! :lol:

I think I'll grab some acetate, the glass paint I have at the moment is not the best for casting colour, and I have glass stain but its really poor... although I JUST had an idea, I could paint a spiderweb on one, and then hopefully it cast the web as a shadow.... hmm I will ponder that over more coffee lol.

LOL thanks Monstermash, I'm such a hazard I can set fire to cereal!! :lol:
By GUS
Congrats PB, (incidentally did you ring the pumpkin patch farmer)?

That's the lamp, one thing to remember, pre planning! ..it's now the season for folk to stick lights up for winter, if you'd have bought one 3 or 4 months ago it could've been as low as £14.00

The other thing being if you decide to go for a pir version check with the supplier it's a dedicated unit rather than a bolt on pir unit, it's important that the units are matched up or you'll find the lamp drawing less energy than the pir unit, also if not matched correctly the pir will fail prematurely.
By paddy_babe
GUS wrote:The other thing being if you decide to go for a pir version check with the supplier it's a dedicated unit rather than a bolt on pir unit, it's important that the units are matched up or you'll find the lamp drawing less energy than the pir unit, also if not matched correctly the pir will fail prematurely.
I have no idea what you are talking about but I got John to read it (he's better with machines/DIY lol) and he knows what you mean :lol:

I know I should have got there early but I didn't know what I was after... I'll just have to grin and bear it lol. Silver lining is now I do know, next year I should be grand and prepared in advance (and with the lights from this year too!) :D

I did ring but there wasn't an answer (I think it was too early) and I had to go out around dinner time so couldn't try again. I will try again today. :)=
By olsenr
I think that using those 5w bulbs would be perfect though it would be hard to pick the ones with color so they could add some factor to your whole Halloween setup. You might also want to try those big bulbs that are linked together that are usually used for Christmas decorations. You can even add decorations to the spaces between so you are able to maximize the space.