Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
By GUS
Believe me we sellers are very cautious of buyers & share our blocked bidder lists highlighting problematic buyers out to cause trouble, we block them without them even knowing or after they've kicked up a stink with reputable sellers.

there are thieves on both sides, often theiving sellers are thieving buyers too!
By purple1worm
I agree there are thieves on boths sides. Wether seller or buyer , you have to be cautious!
By Chewy
Very cool

question for you - how'd you do the "engraving". I did some googling and found some helpful guidances on it, but looking at yours it doesnt look like it was done the same way.

I'd like to try to avoid using the burning technique due to the fumes & the dremel router technique due to the crazy dust.

Thanks!
By CombichristGirl
Chewy wrote:Very cool

question for you - how'd you do the "engraving". I did some googling and found some helpful guidances on it, but looking at yours it doesnt look like it was done the same way.

I'd like to try to avoid using the burning technique due to the fumes & the dremel router technique due to the crazy dust.

Thanks!
if you dont wanna do either of those(dont blame ya) the next best thing is a nice sharp exacto knife and "v" cuts :)
By mesmark
Chewy wrote:question for you - how'd you do the "engraving". ... I'd like to try to avoid using the burning technique due to the fumes & the dremel router technique due to the crazy dust.
Another option is to paste on pieces instead of engraving. Using an exacto knife, cut out your letters from a thin styrofoam sheet. Then paste then on with wood glue.
By CombichristGirl
mesmark wrote:
Chewy wrote:question for you - how'd you do the "engraving". ... I'd like to try to avoid using the burning technique due to the fumes & the dremel router technique due to the crazy dust.
Another option is to paste on pieces instead of engraving. Using an exacto knife, cut out your letters from a thin styrofoam sheet. Then paste then on with wood glue.
oh great tip mes i totally forgot about that!!! :) i myself may have to use that for one of my last stones
By CorpseBride
CombichristGirl wrote:
Chewy wrote:Very cool

Thanks!
if you dont wanna do either of those(dont blame ya) the next best thing is a nice sharp exacto knife and "v" cuts :)
Yup! That is what I do! It is surprisingly very easy. Then after I have cut it and Glob paint (acrylic) into the letters. Then when I am spraypainting it generally stays out of the carved areas leaving a nice look of depth.
By CorpseBride
mesmark wrote:CB - are you spay painting the foam as is? Did you coat it with something first?
As is. I did a lot of research as to which brand does not eat the foam. I used all Krylon spray paints.

My first two layers were black (lightly) then white for accents. Then I used Krylon 'Make It Stone' to really give it that...well...stone appearance (i used sparingly though as I have a lot of tombs to make). Then I added more black and white for shadows. Then after all that I used regular acrylic paints to add brown/green drips and staining. The final step is a clear matte coat of Krylon spray paint.

Hope that helps a bit!
By vibhandaka
CB, those are amazing!!! You should definitely try to sell them! I would much rather buy from you than Garden Ridge, lol. I can't get over how real they look. :)
By staticfurball
Thats awesome, you could personalise them for people too...maybe put a dreaded mother in laws name on some lol :twisted: ...just kidding love ya mum! Hihihi
By CorpseBride
A year later I finally finished the Frankenstein and Frankenstein's Bride tombstone :D Another great use for stencils!

I used Hot Blood for the realistic blood effect on the letters.