Chronicle your costume creation and share photos of your disguise.
By suzika
I tend to go toward the typical witch, vampire, voodoo priestess costumes, a lot. This year I decided to go as a plague doctor. I have a base mask to make mine on. As of right now I am going to paper mache the mask to make it look right, but wanted any opinions on how to best go about it.

The base mask is one of those cheap hockey masks so it will have the over the head strap to help anchor it.

http://www.delpiano.com/carnival/html/medico_peste.html shows an example of a plague doctor.
By CombichristGirl
sweet idea for a costume!!!!!!
defiantly cardboard for the beak so it has a strong starting point.
if it were myself, i would probably start with a few layers of regular paper mache. then i would bust out some paper clay the fine pulp stuff to be able to give it a smooth texture. once all was dry i would give it a sanding to further smooth it, unless you want it textured :)
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I like CombichristGirl's advice, and I love the costume idea. Those beaked masks are freaky!
By suzika
You all rock. JayFamous, that is the perfect site to help me. I think it is hilarious I already have the hockey mask ready to go.
By monstermash
I think CCG and Jay have nailed it. Just wanted to say great costume idea. Really creepy.
By suzika
I have the first layer of paper mache on the mask. I couldn't find the same size cone so I modified it, but, it is going fairly well. The fabric for the ret of it is sitting here waiting for me to figure out how to do it best.
By suzika
My mask is done, albeit it ended up completely different than it started. I started with the cone and paper mache, went through all that, and painted it yesterday, and hated it. It just didn't look right, and I went ahead and pulled out last year's vampire costume thinking I'd rewear that.

Well, while looking at the mask, and pulling out some other Halloween stuff I remembered the felt I had left from a Thanksgiving project last year. I ended up hot gluing felt to the mask, brown for the face, orange for the beak, cannibalizing an old pair of Harry Potter costume glasses and now I love the mask. As soon as my husband leaves for work I'll be finishing the robe, then I'll try and get pictures. I wish I had taken pictures through the whole process but, I always end up in a Halloween rush with way too much going on.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Sounds like your creative process took you in all directions on this project. Happy to hear that you are pleased with it though. Can't wait to see photos.