Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
Do you prefer to cut the top of the pumpkin or the bottom of the pumpkin? Is there a benefit to starting on one end than the other?

-Never really considered if there was a real difference. Im pretty traditional with my carving, so I would have to say the top of the pumpkin. I prefer to cut the top of the pumpkin just because you can gather the guts and dispose them quickly and rinsing is easy. :D
By Joey
I'm a top cutter, I've never seen much benefit in going bottom. I've heard it argued that bottom cutting leaves the stem on will help it last longer, but I'm not really buying it.
By hkzombie
really? It sounds familiar, hopefully someone in here can straighten that myth out? Sounds like a job for Mythbusters! Ooo great idea, they should do a special on pumpkin myths?! :D
By purple1worm
i also cut from the top. Actually i've never heard of anyone cutting the bottom. Unless for sake of design you need a clean uncut top!
By Hottie McNaughty
It depends on the pumpkin and the pattern. I just sort of wing and and try to imagine which technique will show off better.
By nosferatu
Neither. For me, middle outwards. I try and work out which pieces will have the most impact on the structural integrity of the pumpkin and those which I know can be carved last.

However, it does depend on the design. Slimer for instance, had to be carved in sequence and was indeed done top to bottom
By Pumpken
I cut out the bottoms because I use a string of Christmas lights to light them. I just set the pumpkin on the light. Cleaning them is the same whether cutting the bottom or the top.

If you light with a candle, you can still cut the bottom. Just set the pumpkin over the candle, see where the smoke hits the top, then cut a chimney where the smoke hits. That way you don't have to try to reach inside to light or drop in a candle.
By monstermash
Top for me.
By salemblack
I cut the top of the pumpkin. I do cut the bottom of sugar pumpkins. My wife and I always carve a number of sugar pumpkins with little designs and they sit better and carve better that way. People are always amazed at how much detail we can get in a sugar pumpkin.
By SuperSonic
Im a top cutter, Never heard of cutting the bottom
By CombichristGirl
this sounds like an emo pumpkin thread " im a top cutter" im a bottom cutter" lol
i personal cut the top 95% of the time. i do get ones where i cut the bottom or lay them on the side and cut it like my rockband/GH:W zeppelin shaped one.
the stem may be a little pain with using the pumpkin gutter though unless your surface has a hole that the stem can go into.
i might try cutting a little more on the bottom this year just to see if any difference :D
By hkzombie
nosferatu wrote:Neither. For me, middle outwards. I try and work out which pieces will have the most impact on the structural integrity of the pumpkin and those which I know can be carved last.

However, it does depend on the design. Slimer for instance, had to be carved in sequence and was indeed done top to bottom
I really like your approach for cutting your pumpkin. I never heard anyone cut the middle outwards.
By hkzombie
Pumpken wrote:I cut out the bottoms because I use a string of Christmas lights to light them. I just set the pumpkin on the light. Cleaning them is the same whether cutting the bottom or the top.

If you light with a candle, you can still cut the bottom. Just set the pumpkin over the candle, see where the smoke hits the top, then cut a chimney where the smoke hits. That way you don't have to try to reach inside to light or drop in a candle.
Do you use the big bulb or the slim, tiny ones used commonly for christmas trees? I never considered lighting my pumpkins that way. I am going to carve a lot this year, plus Im guessing it would be a lot safer because I don't have to be concerned with a fire hazad happening anywhere near my house.
By Hottie McNaughty
I converted all my Christmas lights to LED's last year so I'm going to try this!