Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Ran across this project on Martha Stewart's site. Pretty haunting and etherial ghosts.

Tools and Materials:
Cheesecloth
Styrofoam mannequin heads
Sponge brush
Watered-down glue or fabric stiffener (such as Stiffy)
Screw eyes
Monofilament
Removable adhesive hooks (such as Command brand) or painters' tape, to hang

Process:
1. Apply a layer of cheesecloth to head, then generously brush over head and face with glue. Use hands to smooth the cloth into the facial features. Don't brush down the neck; stop at chin level so the fabric is loose below that.
2. Repeat until you have 4 layers (each 7 feet long) of cheesecloth. Let dry thoroughly. (No need to dry between layers.)
3. Tatter edges of cloth with scissors if desired. Attach a screw eye with a bit of glue to the top of the head; thread with monofilament to hang from hooks.
By nosferatu
They look great and relatively easy to do. I ink I'll give them a go. I think the more that are grouped together, the better the overall effect. Nice find. 8)
I think I would use Skulls instead of heads. For two reasons: adds to the Halloween feel and they are easier to get.
By CorpseBride
Oh wow this is easy! I was thinking of doing This One. But I just might have to do Martha's instead. Would be much faster, and it still has a great effect!

Value Village (perhaps a Canadian chain??) always has a ton of those foam heads. I generally pick up a couple a year. Think I have about 6 kicking around...somewhere. :lol:
By Lala
Value Village is also the same as Savers in my part of the USA - I will go get some foam heads today!!
pagemaster1993 wrote:I think I would use Skulls instead of heads. For two reasons: adds to the Halloween feel and they are easier to get.
I have a half a dozen foam wig heads, I think I picked them up for a couple bucks each. pagemaster1993, do you know where I could find lightweight foam skulls for a good price?
CorpseBride wrote:Oh wow this is easy! I was thinking of doing This One. But I just might have to do Martha's instead. Would be much faster, and it still has a great effect!
That link you posted is great too, CB. What I like about that one is that the whole body shape is hollow and can be lit up from inside. Spoooky. But creating a full body shape out of chicken wire is quite a bit more work. The Martha ghosts might be quicker, and have the benefit of floating from the ceiling. Place a low powered fan underneath and their tattered cloth should flutter in the breeze.
By Lala
I have my heads (heh) but cheesecloth is kind of spendy - anyone know of some secret cheap place that sells cheesecloth? :lol:
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:I have a half a dozen foam wig heads, I think I picked them up for a couple bucks each. pagemaster1993, do you know where I could find lightweight foam skulls for a good price?
I believe I saw them cheap at Everydays A Party, but that store is only a local one. At least I believe they are only around here. Otherwise I believe the cheapest you will get for a lightweight foam skull is probably $6.00.
By CorpseBride
Lala wrote:I have my heads (heh) but cheesecloth is kind of spendy - anyone know of some secret cheap place that sells cheesecloth?  :lol:
Rummage through the craft section at second hand stores, I ALWAYS find cheesecloth in those places...usually dirt dirt cheap!
By monstermash
Lala wrote:I have my heads (heh) but cheesecloth is kind of spendy - anyone know of some secret cheap place that sells cheesecloth?  :lol:
Have a look for other less expensive loosely woven fabrics. Maybe muslin would be less costly. Maybe ask in a haberdashery or material shop for fabrics silimar to cheescloth.