Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
Hi everyone,

Just curious about the folks here. How early do you put your stuff on display and more importantly, how do you keep it from getting stolen by the neighborhood kids?

My layout is nothing special. I am adding two more bats and a ghost going from tree to tree and I built a HUGE fog chiller but this is pretty much the layout.

Just curious what folks do to secure their stuff

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a191/ ... G_0237.jpg
By Liderc
I usually put decorations out around 2 weeks or so before halloween. I've honestly never had a problem with kids messing with my stuff, I guess it just depends on where you live and/or have bad kids around. Hope ya get lucky this year and have no stolen decos. Happy Octoberween.

ps. your house looks great, mind me asking the specs on your fog machine/chiller? I made one myself bought a 1000 watt fog machine and made a chiller that can hold about 1 1/2 bags of ice.
By texmaster
Liderc wrote:I usually put decorations out around 2 weeks or so before halloween. I've honestly never had a problem with kids messing with my stuff, I guess it just depends on where you live and/or have bad kids around. Hope ya get lucky this year and have no stolen decos. Happy Octoberween.

ps. your house looks great, mind me asking the specs on your fog machine/chiller? I made one myself bought a 1000 watt fog machine and made a chiller that can hold about 1 1/2 bags of ice.
No problem! I went the trashcan route. 18 feet of duct inside a I believe 35 gallon trashcan. It takes about 60-70 pounds of ice. I've only tested it with 30 pounds because I thought it was enough (oops) but it worked great! I also bought a 1000 watt fogger as well. I'll take pics of it

I got the plans from this website

http://ghostsofhalloween.com/projects/fog_chiller/
By Liderc
Wow, wish I would have seen this before I made mine. Seems like that is the best way to chill the fog. It actually looks cheaper than doing it the way I did lol, and it looks 10x as effecient. Does take up more space which I dont have on my porch, but very nice, thanks for the info.
By texmaster
Liderc wrote:Wow, wish I would have seen this before I made mine. Seems like that is the best way to chill the fog. It actually looks cheaper than doing it the way I did lol, and it looks 10x as effecient. Does take up more space which I dont have on my porch, but very nice, thanks for the info.
no problem!

I actually found a site selling them made for 450 dollars! if he's selling them for that, we should all get in the business!
By Afiendslullaby
For the smaller stuff - anywhere from a week or two - but for the Haunted House - we normally put that up the night before and decorate that day since some people don't know how to respect other peoples property... damn savages.. lol
By Cheef
im gonna put my stuff out probly 3 days before this year. since my stuff is all hand made by myself, i get a bit pissy if it comes up missing. but so far its never happened, i live in a pretty laid back nieghborhood.

biggest mistake i made last year was taking it down too early , i got spooked cause there was abunch of teenagers running around with eggs and crap, and they got my nieghbors car. so i went and packed it all up at around 9:30.

right when i had all my good stuff put away.. A grop of about 15 peole came walking up and were sad because they had heard about my house and wanted to see it and take some pics. I told them i would have a bigger and better display this year. So hopefully i wont get anything broken by the roaming hooligans this year.
By texmaster
Cheef wrote:im gonna put my stuff out probly 3 days before this year. since my stuff is all hand made by myself, i get a bit pissy if it comes up missing. but so far its never happened, i live in a pretty laid back nieghborhood.

biggest mistake i made last year was taking it down too early , i got spooked cause there was abunch of teenagers running around with eggs and crap, and they got my nieghbors car. so i went and packed it all up at around 9:30.

right when i had all my good stuff put away.. A grop of about 15 peole came walking up and were sad because they had heard about my house and wanted to see it and take some pics. I told them i would have a bigger and better display this year. So hopefully i wont get anything broken by the roaming hooligans this year.

I'm with you man, putting it away early is probably the best way to go. I'm contemplating putting it out early or the same day and packing up about 9:30-9:45. I live in a good neighborhood its just some of the kids in one house in particular that I dont trust because of their history.

In that pic you see those 3 bushes next to the house, I finally convinced my better to allow me to cut them down. I was removing the stump in the yard when a little girl with her mother were walking by and she said "are you getting ready for the smoke machine?" I said not yet then she asked me 2 more times. First it was cute now its getting annoying. But the mom had a great answer for her kid. "Now honey, you've asked the nice man that question 3 times and he answered it the first time. Remember how daddy gets when he is working in the yard?"

Smart woman ;)