Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
By monstermash
They're really cute PM. Thanks for showing. It's not fair that theres hardly anything like this available in the UK. It seems like you guys have almost anything you can think of. :cry: Mind you I do like to try and make as much stuff as I can myself.
By pagemaster1993
I think this would be a little hard to make unless your a metal crafter.
By monstermash
I've done a bit of thinking and some terrible drawing and came up with these two possibilities.
The initial pathway idea has changes slightly. Instead of the path leading to the graveyard gates, I will construct a wall joined to the entrance pillars and put my kins on that.
Im no good at drawing but heres a rough idea.
This first one would be the easier of the two to make but a bit boring. I'd also make something to go on top of the pillars to hold the "cemetery" sign.

I like this second one better. Loosely based on Jack Skellington's gate.

:)=
By GUS
Seems logical to me that if you are going to be an evil clown you pehaps could make up a stripey gazebo ((frontage)) coconut shy of carved pumpkins,.
By monstermash
Im not going to use the clown suit this year, I just had some spare time and thought id make it.
I have thought of an evil carnival theme though. Im only doing a graveyard again because ive got all the stuff. Im palnning on being some sort of zombie.
On the topic of constructing these gates, if I can get my hands on the big carpet rolls, I will probably use them as the core structure. I will target my local allied carpets if they are still going.
By pagemaster1993
You could also use some cardboard boxes too, to make up the stair like wall.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
monstermash -- I really like the concept images for your display. The "staircase" style might be the more straightforward and easy way to go. But the more whimsical shape like Jack Skellington's gate is a pure Halloweeny delight. I like how that concept has another row of pumpkins in front, at a lower height. A bit more organic looking.

No matter what you do, I'm sure it will look great. Maybe you will want to carve a variety of pumpkin designs though, and not 16 VIncent Prices. ;) :lol:
By monstermash
Update on my progress or should I say lack of. :cry:
Im still tyring to figure out the best materials for the job and how to go about it.
Its the frame that im having difficluty with, the facade is sorted more or less.
I'm making the second picture by the way, the steps are out. Although the main structure for the second pic will be similar to the step idea.
First I was thinking of using wood to make the main structure. Then I thought of using carpet rolls. This would mean I'd have to cut LOADS. If each step had four columns for stability that would be 176 columns plus another 6 for the part that holds the cemetery sign. 182 bits of carpet roll!!!!!
That just seems like too much work. I know there must be a simpler way of doing it but my mind is blank. Any ideas would be brill. I'd like to use similar materials, wood, carpet rolls as thats the easiest and cheapest for me.
By staticfurball
How about this. My sister did this last year and it looked great. :)
monstermash -- I really like the concept images for your display. The "staircase" style might be the more straightforward and easy way to go. But the more whimsical shape like Jack Skellington's gate is a pure Halloweeny delight.
I like this alot as well, I wish I had more yard space to do something like that!
By monstermash
I like the cross idea too, its nice and simple but ive got my mind set on making this entrance now.
Update: A guy that stayed in our holiday flat dropped some great sheets of insulation round for me today so I should be able to partly construct the walls with that. It felt like christmas came early, that stuff is really expensive to buy in the UK.
By staticfurball
I agree completely with monstermash, I lve making my own stuff.
I was thinking of doing something similar to the stairs structure in the sketches up against my back wall behind my grim reaper. I wasthinking of something easy to take down and stor the rest of the year and I came up with ....milk crates! They are easy to stack and I just have to tie wrap them together to form stairs. I can use spray foam and spray paint to create the stone wall look. mI have a few kinks to work out but this seems like the simplest way to go about it.