Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
By purple1worm
So I come home the other day after a long day. My bf tells me he's found something!
After super he pulls out this manequin! It's the top half of a man. Turns out the neighbor was getting rid of it and he askes him if could have it.
He knows this is prime Halloween decorating material... at least to me anyway!
Question is what to do with him?
I have gravestones and a Witch. Would a scarcrow would fit? My sis next door aready has a Grim Reaper and a mummy .

Suggestions please!! :oops: :oops:
By CombichristGirl
you could take expanding foam to the bottom of him and make it look like guts or put a mask on him. have peek from behind a tombstone. drive some nails in his head and cut him up... dunno will probably think of some more suggestions
By Zombie Pumpkins!
It all depends what you want to turn him into. Vampire, zombie, mummy, werewolf... if you have a theme, I'm sure we can help you with specifics of construction.

Or you can just dress him in costume (rather than altering the mannequin itself, in an irreversible way). Put a mask and shirt on it, and it can be something different every year.

I have a couple mannequin busts that I sometimes use to support some clothing and masks. You can see one use in my living tomb:

By purple1worm
I definately want to dress him up rather than alter him. I like the versatility! He doesn't have arms but I could fake it with a stuffed shirt.
Maybe a vampire peeking out from behind a gravestone. It's got to be something that fits in the cemetary theme. I've got my witch at the back with her cauldron.
I also have an ugly mask of a wererat! Or that's what it looks like to me.
Since he doesn't have a bottom I could make it look like he's digging himself out of a shallow grave. I've got a spot where the grass never grows, I could throw some fresh dirt on there!
By SuperSonic
Can I have that banner? :)
By CombichristGirl
SuperSonic wrote:Can I have that banner? :)
right thats so last year lol. yeah ryan you rgonn aneed an updated banner ha ha
By punchi
Ughhh, i was gonna ask for the banner but there's already dibs called :cry: anyway i would definitely go with the coming outta the grave thing cuz that's just cool...
By purple1worm
I've been pondering it now for a week and I think I will have him coming out of the ground. I'll put a gravestone in back of him and lay some fresh dirt in front of him. Now I just have to make arms for him.
By draarona
I have mannequins and I had an uppertorso and head one. I sprayed it with blood and got a big clear plastic bag from local butcher or wherever you can get it.. i poured fake blood in bottom and smeared it all around in inside of bag. Then I used that expandable foam and applied that to bottom (waist) and sprayed that red to look like guts and cut in half. then put it upside down in bag (head down) and hung it from top in my butcher room. looks cool. and sways with weight real easy.
By hkzombie
zombiepumpkins wrote:It all depends what you want to turn him into. Vampire, zombie, mummy, werewolf... if you have a theme, I'm sure we can help you with specifics of construction.

Or you can just dress him in costume (rather than altering the mannequin itself, in an irreversible way). Put a mask and shirt on it, and it can be something different every year.

I have a couple mannequin busts that I sometimes use to support some clothing and masks. You can see one use in my living tomb:

I love your living room! You are quite the Halloween interior decorator haha :D
By hkzombie
purple1worm wrote:So I come home the other day after a long day. My bf tells me he's found something!
After super he pulls out this manequin! It's the top half of a man. Turns out the neighbor was getting rid of it and he askes him if could have it.
He knows this is prime Halloween decorating material... at least to me anyway!
Question is what to do with him?
I have gravestones and a Witch. Would a scarcrow would fit? My sis next door aready has a Grim Reaper and a mummy .

Suggestions please!! :oops: :oops:
Since you have gravestones, make it look like he's a zombie crawling out of his plot... or you can carve a scary pumpkin design on a kin and put it over his head, have blood trickling down his body. If he had arms it would be cool if you had a prop knife he can hold, you can put it right next to your door... :)
By purple1worm
Thanks everybody for the cool ideas! :D This is such a cool and inspiring forum!!
By mesmark
My only thought (that's different) is to have him coming out of a wall nearby. So if the graveyard is in front of your house, you could have him coming out of the wall or front door, kind of like a ghost.

You could even pin him up against the front door with a scary mask. If you're really good with effects, stretch some plastic around him and paint the plastic to look like wood or a door material. It would look as if he was trying to pop out of the door.
By purple1worm
Neat idea mesmark! I don't know if I could pull something like that off though! Maybe I'll look into it!