Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
By monstermash
Im sure ive read stuff on this sort of thing here before but i didn't know what to search for. I would love anyones advice on how to do the following:

A decaying/rotting finish for ground breakers. (Maybe a particular varinsh or paint colour combo that's good)

A realistic stone finish for gravestones. (i will most likely be using foam insulation or wood.)

I would be really grateful for any tips off you clever lads and lassies. :D :D :D
Last edited by monstermash on Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By CombichristGirl
ok for the skellies search corpsing a bucky or corpsing a ground breaker various colors of wood stain are great and even painting some coloring before the stain makes it even different. for materials theres lots of different thing to try.

and for tombstones this is a nice tut i tend to use it and vary things http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FibTZIYrN7k

also you can give your tombstone a coat of latex paint and then get some valspar stone paint. i know its good and have heard the rustolium stone paint had mixed results. you may have other brands to try just do a test spot. also bas coat of latex let dry then spray tombstone with warter then lightly with spray paint then hose off right away for a nice effect :). hope to see some pics :)
By monstermash
Thanks CCG. I will get right on it. I think i will have to make a move, the Halloween clock is ticking.
By CombichristGirl
i know some people start their clock trying to have a baby im trying to give birth to a better display ha ha lol. i cant wait to see your stuff :). i can never get enough pictures :)
also i should have stated for coloring just use some reds greens and yellows. yellow oxide and raw and burnt Siannas and umbers. patina style greens are great. a bright red like cadmium red medium is nice. once you stain it the red will become old and dry looking :). anything else just ask away :). i wish i lived close enough to you guys that we could work on projects and pumpkins together :)
By GUS
CCG if you werent so far away I'd ask for a commisioned piece, ..seriously!

I'd like a stone effect skull door entrance piece with your gothic script, seeing how advanced you've become with that router!
Having seen what's available your bespoke work I know what i'd prefer.
By CombichristGirl
aww thank you gus! i'd most certainly do it. i thought about a couple times a year having like some basic prop building classes just to get people involved. just charge like 5 or 10 bucks and i would provide supplies. i could do some things better if i werent so lazy lol.like my celtic cross ha ha :lol:
By Cheef
I think CCG pretty much nailed it on the head. Theres a ton of resources on the net though. just do a bit of research.
By monstermash
That is a really handy video CCG. It would be great if we all lived close so we could make props etc togeher. I bet it would be a laugh. Right now ive made 5 skulls and a couple of rib cages but they are in the early stages so no use for pics just yet.

Ive also been making skull candles to display here and there, probably beside coffins. They look pretty good. Ive finished my invitations too. Slowly but surely im getting there.

The Garage of Evil has some great reference pics by the way if anyone is looking for inspiration. :)
By CombichristGirl
i know i have a ground breaker im working on but at a stand still til i grab some more glue lol. to lazy. i almost got the little stones cut for the gashly scene. need to work on some more regular sized ones also. i love garage of evil. i think i might bust out a quicky tee shirt also. the kids have school tomorrow so dont know what ill be getting done yet lol.
seriously some darn day we are gonn ahave to have some zp meets or something
cant wait for those pics. i want some skull candles! :D
By monstermash
I was going to make a few T-shirts this year but i don't think i will have the time. Allsaints do some great skull/skeleton related T-shirts. I bought two in the sale that will be great for the season, couldn't resist.
By monstermash
Here is a progress report. Im not finished with this groundbreaker. He needs to be a bit more slimey/rotten looking. The gravestone is one from last year that i am in the process of touching up. I made the candles a wee while ago. Need more wax! CLICK THE PIC TO MAKE IT FULL :)

Ive a few half made coffins out the back too.
By CombichristGirl
freaking awesome!! now im gonna be ashamed to show mine if i ever finish it
By CorpseBride
Hey LOVE your candles! How hard are they to make exactly? I have a wicked skull mold....
By monstermash
Thanks guys! :)
They can be a bit tricky CB. My mold is in two halves so I do one half and let it harden then pour wax into the other half and lay the hard side on top to seal it. Don't know if that makes sense.
It takes a couple of tries but once you get the hang of it its fine.

I bought some candles from Ikea to melt down and use. Cheap but reliable. :)
Get some made!

@mesmark I know! I dont want to light them. Im trying to think of a way of using them so that when they do melt they will still look cool. Maybe place them on a coffin lid or an old mantlepiece.

Question: Does anyone use a specific brand of paint of varnish that has an excellent finish for corpses? Im struggling to get a great rotten finish and don't know what to buy. Thanks in advance.