Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
By monstermash
Your props are really good mes. I really like the sarcophagus. 8)
Some serious talent there!!
By mesmark
monstermash - Thanks! It's been fun making the props and really cool to hopefully have it all come together.

On to more props. Well, the sarcophagus went off with less work than I had anticipated. So, I decided to go for broke and make a couple Anubis guards for my tomb entrance on the big stage.

I have a big problem with trying to free-hand everything and I'm certainly more gas than brake. So, here's the first photo of me sketching the outline out on a piece of foam. I cut that out and then traced it on the other side so that I'd get 2 out of the one sheet.

Then I cut out all of the pieces just like I did for the sarcophagus. I drew the plan on the foam and then traced that out on a piece of paper and cut out each piece. Here are all the pieces waiting for the glue to dry.

Once the glue was dry, I sanded everything down.

Then paint

and you're done:

I made the hand really large balls so I can drill through and add spears. We'll see what happens. I have to get the main back-drop done and then we can focus on smaller details. However, I'm hoping to finish this week ...
Last edited by mesmark on Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By CombichristGirl
omg!!!! :shock:
freaking amazing! great work, i wanna come to the party! congrads :)
By purple1worm
Those guards are awesome !
By mesmark
Thanks everybody! I was thinking this year would be a little lower scale than last year, but I just got started and once the ball gets rolling, I have till Halloween. I'm a little shocked myself that I've gotten this much done. Hopefully, we can keep it up and get all the small details together.

I intentionally planned for the guards to be a bit simple. I debated adding more foam to make chest, arms and leg muscles. However, I said I was just going to spend a couple hours and make "something". I actually spent a little more time on them than I imagined. I always forget to add in sanding time ... After painting they look pretty good and since they're not the center piece, I don't think people will be looking to closely at them. I hope I can get a couple spears together. That will really make the difference.

I have to admit, I've been putting off work on the big stage back-drop. Maybe for about a week now, but no day like to day to get started :)

You are all officially invited. Anyone who wants to fly over is welcome :D
By monstermash
Lovely stuff! I'm getting pretty jealous seeing all of these big foam boards everyone is using. I can't find any anywhere!
By nosferatu
I can't wait to see the finished display. Awesome as ever
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I'm impressed once again. When I read your post about wanting to do a couple Anubis guards, I thought you were going to say you were just about to start and you'll let us know how it goes.

But nope... you have photos... drawn, cut, sanded, painted.. BAM! Done! On to the next project. You've accomplished a lot. You must feel good about that, having so much done and we're only a few days into October.
By purple1worm
mesmark wrote:Thanks everybody! I was thinking this year would be a little lower scale than last year, but I just got started and once the ball gets rolling, I have till Halloween. I'm a little shocked myself that I've gotten this much done. Hopefully, we can keep it up and get all the small details together.

I have to admit, I've been putting off work on the big stage back-drop. Maybe for about a week now, but no day like to day to get started :)

You are all officially invited. Anyone who wants to fly over is welcome :D
Great job! From you're posts I don't think you do anything lower scale! Like Ryan said.. you plan it, make it ..and take us all on the ride with you with the pics! I'm sure you'll do a great job on the back-drop as well!

As for the last line in you're post .. I might have to take you up on that offer some day! If I could save up the money to fly over! I'd be honored to attend a party you put so much work into!

Actually wouldn't it be cool to have a ZP party!?
By blueikaos
::picking jaw up off floor::

Mark, my god, this is amazing! I am totally jealous at your skills.
By matspud
The anubis guards are amazing :D :D This is going to be one heck of a party.

I would love to be able to take you up on your invitation but don't think I can fit it in in between tank driving birthday party and Halloween night at Glamis Castle.

there is always next yera though :twisted: