Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
I'm going for the simple fake arm + hand supporting the sweets / candy tub this year.

Should I make it as much of a fright as possible? (eg nasty costume hand grabbing air / startling effect)

or simply play it softly softly with a minor "boo" factor?

after the initial frights (if they're that type) yuo've got their attention by then so....???

Should point out our tubs are usually around 3.5kg of sweets per time so large, inviting the possibility of a really good arm / hand lunge.
By mesmark
What about a simple set up with a real arm?

Of course you'd need a volunteer to man the position ... I always thought that'd be a fun effect. Simply because people will expect the hand to do something, think it's fake, and be pretty shocked when it really grabs them.

Although, maybe too much for just a candy bowl ...
By GUS
The great thing is anyone can be asked to do this, no real training, black cloak / cowl thrown over the candy "person" , no sitting awkwardly for hours under a table, available to fill up foggers etc..

cheap, we all hand out sweets from a container in the main, so item already in posession cutting costs, I simply like the idea of a visual prop decorated hand coming out, seems right regardless though as the scare factor is obviously there.