Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
By Vavybee
This is gonna be a crappy Halloween for me after all...

I was supposed to go to my brother's house, decorate everything, and help hand out the candy, because there's is no kid around here anymore and he lives near a school... but he six months pregnant girlfriend isn't feeling very good at the moment, so we canceled that...

They were sad, when they told me... they're sweet... like I cared more about Halloween then my upcoming nephew...

So I went back to planning a quiet night at my place, for like the 10 kids that will come...

I only do one carving a year, mainly because of time... so I waited at the last minute to buy my pumpkin, so that it wouldn't go bad by Saturday...

But it turns out, I waited too long... There is no more pumpkin in my little town, not one !!! There is no pumpkin patches near by, not a farm produces even a little crop...

That is my favorite part of Halloween, picking a pattern, and spending time carving it just right... I even got the monster harvest membership this year, cause originally, at my brother's there would have been more then one, and I wanted the most choices available...

So, just no carving for me this year, I'm actually really sad about it ... :(

Couldn't even find a fake one in this smaller than I realized town...

I'm sorry about the long rant, I think I had to vent... :(
By GUS
feel free, that is truly terrible, if you've got a local radio station perhaps you could get an appeal out for a pumpkin or two, theres bound to be someone who bought with their eyes a few too many??

you never know!
By Zombie Pumpkins!
That is a bummer, Vavybee! Buy yourself a pumpkin pie, but on a Halloween movie, and enjoy the positive vibes on this forum. You can live vicariously through the other minions.

How about using a pattern to cut out some luminary paper bag lanterns? All you need is a paper bag and an craft blade like an x-acto. Who says ya need pumpkins!
By monstermash
Sad to hear that Vavybee. If you have the ability to fly really really fast you are welcome to come to my party. :D
By JMP919
Sorry to hear. One time at work I shrunk down a pattern and tried to carve it out on a styrofoam coffee cup (didn't work) There is always something to carve! Have fun!
By SaneInsideInsanity
Sorry to Hear that you can always resprt to the traditional Turnip
By Hunter240x
that sucks about halloween but congrats on the nephew.
By Vavybee
Hey !

Thank you guys, for all the sweet words, I was touched... I survived my crappy Halloween night, only 16 kids, quite boring... but I've since been fueled with different ideas, for using Ryan's stencils in a non-pumpkin fashion, so I'll keep the Zombie Pumpkins spirit alive all year round... I started with this cake on Sunday... I couldn't get a actual pumpkin, so I pretty much made my own !!!

Enjoy !

I also did this, it's a big olive glass jar I use to keep change in... I put the little stroboscope light in it and set it next to my candy bowl Saturday night...

By Ajax
Cool cake and change jug, good ideas.
By JMP919
Love the cake! I might do that next year.
By SaneInsideInsanity
Great ideas keep them going
By CombichristGirl
i love it!!! that cake looks so good yummies. and the jar is sweet!:) great job :)
By Carving Queen
I love the change jar! How did you do it? I have bulk sized pickle jars and now I have something to do with them ...

did you paint the jar?
By Vavybee
Carving Queen wrote:I love the change jar! How did you do it? I have bulk sized pickle jars and now I have something to do with them ...

did you paint the jar?
I started by painting the front half of the jar black, when it was dry, I taped the slightly shrunken down stencil on it... then I pretty much scraped the design off, leaving the gargoyle in clear glass, but since I wanted to put the little stroboscope light inside, and it's bright green, and not very subtle... I painted a thin silver coat on the inside off the jar...

And since I used acrylic craft paints and it can come off easy, I put a light coat of glossy varnish on it (that is made for those types on paint, not furniture stuff)

I had also considered doing pretty much the opposite of this, and buy some this thing that creates a frosting on a glass surface... Would have done the gargoyle like so, then painted then inside for background, but I didn't time to go by one of those, because this was a last minute project... Maybe on the next one !

Have fun !!!