Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
By The Captain
So the whole 13 minions idea quickly was reduced to 5 minions, 16 zombies, and a floating witch! (and maybe a scarecrow). Here are some construction photos of the zombies and minions in different stages of completion.
Helga
Larry
Matt
Zelda
Group shot with low lighting. If you're paying attention these are all repaints and upgrades of last years kids. I had a cruise in Oct. last year and didn't get to finish them all the way.
Sac (pre-paper mache and paint)
Raven aka Priest (pre-paint and jacket)
Ass (pre-hair and final touches)
The four who didn't get paper mached today.
Ilean (wet mache)
Tex (wet mache)
Mouth(wet mache)
By gregh3196
Those are awesome! I was wondering if those were the same from last year, nice upgrades! Im still working on the ONE groundbreaker i started last year, maybe he will actually get done this year
By SaneInsideInsanity
I still need to start a ground breaker and my wall climbers. You want to come over for a bit and help me out ;)? They look great i think i have a ways to go before i get to that level
By nosferatu
Looking awesome Captain. Mouth (wet) is an early favourite
By paddy_babe
those are great! can I ask, was one of those a penguin? (I think it was one before paper mache) :)

your groundbreakers always look the best and cant wait for this years pics of the full display :D
By The Captain
No it was originally a store bought crow that I cut up. He isn't finished yet but he is supposed to be a bird man minion of the soul of a priest that was involved in the death of a witch (The story will come out with the final pictures, I promise it will make since {hopefully}) I can see why you said penguin though, he'll be all black and be wearing a little robe. :twisted:
By paddy_babe
The Captain wrote:No it was originally a store bought crow that I cut up. He isn't finished yet but he is supposed to be a bird man minion of the soul of a priest that was involved in the death of a witch (The story will come out with the final pictures, I promise it will make since {hopefully}) I can see why you said penguin though, he'll be all black and be wearing a little robe. :twisted:
ohh sounds really freaky, cant wait! I suppose looking at it again it looks also like one of the plague guys (they had the weird masks that looked like beaks) and they wore robes. I love the fact that your display has a story, wish I lived in your neighbourhood and could see it for myself!
By blueikaos
These are all so great!

I hope the ones I am working on come out 1/2 as good as these!
By CombichristGirl
paddy_babe wrote:
The Captain wrote:No it was originally a store bought crow that I cut up. He isn't finished yet but he is supposed to be a bird man minion of the soul of a priest that was involved in the death of a witch (The story will come out with the final pictures, I promise it will make since {hopefully}) I can see why you said penguin though, he'll be all black and be wearing a little robe. :twisted:
ohh sounds really freaky, cant wait! I suppose looking at it again it looks also like one of the plague guys (they had the weird masks that looked like beaks) and they wore robes. I love the fact that your display has a story, wish I lived in your neighbourhood and could see it for myself!
i agree. a whole story line to it. a lot of haunted houses dont even do that. just that little touch :)
By blueikaos
Captain! These are all wonderful!

What type of materials did you use for the bodies of these wonderful creatures (Matt/Larry/Helga)
By The Captain
The base to all of my zombies is a piece of plywood with a 1x2 piece of wood (what ever length you like) nailed to the plywood. The upright wood is the neck and spine of the piece and the plywood makes it all stand up. Then you can add you bags and or wadded newspaper on top of your wood.

Here's a picture of Larry with just a head so you can see the base construction.

And now with shoulders added. I was using duct tape back then, I prefer masking tape now (don't buy cheap tape it losses its sticky). Those shoulders are a plastic bag with newspapers inside.

I just take your standard plastic grocery bag and stuff it full of wadded up newspapers till its the general size I want, then I tape it with masking tape to give it some form. I'll add wadded newspaper to spots that need shaping or to be filled out. You can roll up newspaper to make ribs or collar bones, use your imagination.

Heres Helga with out a head. She is made of the plywood base, a upright piece of wood, two paper towel rolls for arms reinforced with wire coat hanger, a grocery bag stuffed with wadded newspaper for the bulk of her body, and extra paper taped on for shaping.

I hope that helped, I start to ramble sometimes, thats just how I do!?! If you have more questions, or I didn't make sense just ask me. Art has no rules, and yes even making zombies is a form of art. So there is really no wrong way to create you creatures, plus they're supposed to be dead and rotting anyway so they aren't supposed to look perfect. I can't wait to see you creations!
By SaneInsideInsanity
thanks caot. I Debating trying some of these later, just not sure yet. The pointers will help greatly