Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
By paddy_babe
I didn't know where to put this thread but anyhoo...

I have just noticed today, the path/walkway/bit to get to my front door has drain thingys (I dont know what they are for). There are 3 of them and they are small but stick out of the ground (bad workmanship??) At night, my front is really dark and I dont want trick or treaters tripping up and hurting themselves (but I dont want to flood light on it and take away from my decorations.

:?: Is there any way I can highlight them as a hazzard :?:

someone suggested breaking a glo stick and putting the liquid on them, would that work? and does anyone have any other ideas?

By S.A.M
How much do they obstruct the path? Would it be possible to rope off that area?

If there is room a Halloween solution would be to carve 3 smallish and cheapish pumpkins with a basic pattern, thinking classic jack o'lantern face and put them on top of the drains. They'd glow and no one wants to step on a Zombie Pumpkin right?

If it is a bit narrow and short on space how about some of those cheap stick on LED lights that come in pack of three?

like these:
eBay link click here
Stick one on each problem drain area and tell people to avoid them. Does anyone else think they look an awful lot like the new Howler lights?
By Mistress_of_Halloween
Any chance you could post a pic, I'm better with idea's if I can visualize the situation.
By paddy_babe
I'll take a pic tomorrow when its bright. The pumpkin idea wont work because other houses use it (ughh first year in this house, still working out the kinks).
they stick out enough to catch yourself, but not enough to rope off/notice. Its hard to explain but I will post pics as soon as I can.

(its weird, after writing this thread a friend of mine tripped on them, I hope I havent jynxed myself!)
By CombichristGirl
could u put little small lighted brooms in them? like the all straw ones and wrap lights in em?
By paddy_babe
guys I think your thinking they are bigger than they are, let me take a pic lol
its just they jut (sp) out... its akward, out enough to trip you, small enough to go unnoticed.... think uneven paving...
By GUS
maybe just yellow & black warning tape in case, however my thoughts are that by highlighting it you are possibly acknowledging liability et al.
By paddy_babe
I didnt think of that gus (my bf read as it aswell and went 'ahhhh' and nodded lol) but surely I can leave it... I'll take a pic guys.
By nosferatu
Maybe a trick or treater lying there with his or her femur protruding from the skin, spouting blood and screaming in agony could be considered a trick? Maybe even a treat if they are masochistic? Probably best asking them first before directing them over there
By GUS
despite kids wearing highly flammable costumes, (which could be argued as in need of a risk assessment in itself (as well as visibility, warmth, and lots of other stuff that would ruin FUN)...
I reckon if you have anyone coming up the path, the theory is there that they could sue, eg couriers, posties, visitors, politicians...
If it's co-owned then it's generally joint responsibility unless it's on your specific house plan, or if you are all part of a block with maintenence then it's questionable

IS the lump for shared drains / telecoms / cable or something else?
The other thing is that you are not actively inviting anyone to call on you, a pumpkin / decorations could be for your own use, & therefore questionable if push came to shove from someone slipping , in the dark in a costume with their eyes partially obscured..

That said, it's a long & tangled wearing process if caught up in any legal issues.
unless it's a man-trap i'd suggest putting it to the back of your mind.
By paddy_babe
I have no idea what they are for, but I have the house plan in front of me, the paths are not assigned to houses, but after re-looking, the worst of the 3 is right in front of the neighbours house and the last of the 3 is on our property. I think I'll leave it, as you said if I highlight it, I'm taking on responsiblilty and therefore can be held accountable. I have some pictures now but will upload them after dinner (lol im hungry).

I never knew halloween to be stressful! (but then I had a large private drive to work with, and I wasnt a mother worrying about kids lol)
By paddy_babe
these are the pics (not as clear as it was getting dark when I remember to take them lol) (you might need to click as they have gone really big)

hope you see what I mean lol
By CombichristGirl
i would so turn those into "eternal flames" lol i do see whta ur talkin aboot.
By SaneInsideInsanity
wow those are random i would put kins or decorations on them personally people wont step on them then...