Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
By paddy_babe
hmmm... painting went a bit weird... looks cool but not at all realistic lol! seems to work though, everyone I've shown has jumped (perhaps because I hid behind doors etc and jumped out!)
my 2 year was really scared until I was able to coax him to touch it (now he tries to feed it :lol:)

I'll be posting pics tonight (said 2 year old has hid the bluetooth thingy so cant get pics onto laptop grrr lol)

I might start another tonight, I didnt want to make this one too scary...
By SaneInsideInsanity
darn toddlers and making this go missing....technically she still has time with time zome thingy
By CombichristGirl
lol
im feindin for some more halloweeny pics of projects and stuff :)
By paddy_babe
ok so these are the pics, I'll probs make it more dark before halloween and will be starting a new one tonight as the fella is on night shifts lol :)
(**you might need to click on the pics to see full, and I left the flash on for some of them**)

this is the after doing the orange bit...

then the eyes, nose and mouth (not the teeth) and the stalk

now the teeth (might still make them a bit more 'dirty')

made it more 'dirty' and 'dark' with just some brown paint and kitchen roll (used the kitchen roll to put the paint on). I then went back with a really small brush and did the raised bits and a few extra lines around the eyes.

this is it fineshed (for now I think)

with the stalk I made up a light green and gently brushed it over the dark green just to catch the ridges (the paper mache clay makes a great texture) then a lighter brown of the brown I used all over for the lower bits of the stalk(if that makes sense lmao :lol: ) also... yes I'm watching Charmed in the background LMAO :D
By paddy_babe
so my first paper mache pumpkin EVER (and first time using paper mache clay) wha'cha think? :)
By blueikaos
i think they came out great!!!

What did you use underneath them? Styrofoam?

**adds these to list of crafts to get done in a month!**
By CombichristGirl
it came out fabulous! i need to make a few but that will bein the off season lol. how did u feel about the "clay" did it stick well? was it easy to apply? dry time?
i know i know u may have to kill me but can u do it after u tell me the secrets lol
By paddy_babe
thanks guys! :D

blueikaos wrote:i think they came out great!!!

What did you use underneath them? Styrofoam?

**adds these to list of crafts to get done in a month!**
No I used a plastic bag full of crumpled paper and paper mached (with strips) over it... then applied the clay (once the strip layer was dry). I actually left the bag in until the clay was dry then cut it out.
CombichristGirl wrote: it came out fabulous! i need to make a few but that will bein the off season lol. how did u feel about the "clay" did it stick well? was it easy to apply? dry time?
i know i know u may have to kill me but can u do it after u tell me the secrets lol
the clay was great, really malable and I was able to shape it well (as long as it wasnt to wet). sticking was fine as long as I took my time lol. dry time took FOREVER! lmao maybe 3 days until I got impatience and stuck it in front of the fire (kept turning it.) then I knew the inside was still wet so I cut out the bag and dried the inside with a hair dryer in front of the telly :lol: if left alone maybe a week, a little bit less than that? heehee about killing you, I might have to set my paper mache pumpkin army on you to keep my secrets! :P
By GUS
In future (both on an eco basis & cost to the pocket) you may want to think that a car in sun (even fenland sun) works like a cooker, so does a conservatory, so does a just emptied tumble dryer.. just used oven etc etc..

Hair dryer's are less than sound in terms of energy & efficiency, & bearing in mind most houses have residual heat 2x per day (early morning in an airing cupboard by a water heater etc) may assist rapid drying times for projects other than just flicking a switch on another costly tool.

Sounds daft makes sense.
..Lastly remember to security mark your work if it go's outside as dressing for a display, you know what little scrotes can be like.
By paddy_babe
GUS wrote:In future (both on an eco basis & cost to the pocket) you may want to think that a car in sun (even fenland sun) works like a cooker, so does a conservatory, so does a just emptied tumble dryer.. just used oven etc etc..
we actually did that for the one we are working on, we put in in the oven after dinner, and I sat it next to an open window for about a day....

when I get to the clay bit I'll use either eco-friendly ways to dry or leave it to dry naturally and will post drying time on here :)

Thanks gus but I already sorted that, I went to the youth group I used to help out with and mentioned that I'd be doing pumpkins and for them to come take a look... word will get round and no one should touch them.
By GUS
I just told "possible" offender kids that i'd never do a trick or treat again & that would affect a whole village of kids including friends, & family.

never had any problems YET! ..considering the amount of wanton vandalism i've been lucky in the village I suppose.

No firm pumpkin patch news as I haven't picked up my daughter from school all week (busy on PC) ..so not chatting to mums in the playground..

What paints are you using? (brand)
By paddy_babe
ohh well if you do hear anything please let me know :)

I used quite a few different paints (I just store all my paints etc in a box).
there was little tubes of 'Reeves' oil colour and 'essentials' acrylic (that one also says 'royal langnickel' if that means anything).

Mostly I used the big tubes of cheap paint I picked up in a market in Birmingham. It justs says 'painters Acrylic' on it.

I will be trying out neon paint and seeing if that comes up ok... I'll be using 'Stargazer neon colour' and will post pics up of my findings :D
By CombichristGirl
is that neon paint acrylic or tempra because i have some but its tempra so its hard to work with as it can come off if u look at it wrong lol
By paddy_babe
CombichristGirl wrote:is that neon paint acrylic or tempra because i have some but its tempra so its hard to work with as it can come off if u look at it wrong lol
I dont know what tempra is lol, I dont think its acrylic though, it doesnt seem 'oily' enough. It works on skin (yay ravers lmao) and it works on fabric (to an extent... slight accident, wasnt trying to paint onto fabric :lol: )
I'll take a pic later today (my time lol) and post a pic of what they are. :D