Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
By paddy_babe
I'm making some paper mache pumpkins but found a website that suggested paper mache pulp rather than strips.... does anyone know how to make it? (the pulp that is)

also has anyone else made these, if so any tips for my first try?

(pics will be posted of them however they turn out lol)
By GUS
try looking in any craft shop for the powdered form.
By CombichristGirl
its also known as celluclay i have seen a time consuming way to make it but im sure there has to be faster out there
By CombichristGirl
id say shred it super fine and then drain and mix with ur choice of glue. i love using 2 parts elmer to 1 part water u may want less water for the clay if u use that recipe :)
paper towels and toilet paper shred extremy easy u could try a small batch with that?
By paddy_babe
I completely forgot I asked that here! ughh will try all of your suggestions but already started last night (was standing in the kitchen going 'right, what to add')
I put newpaper and boiling water into the blender. then added flour and a blob of glue. thats ok isnt it?
By CombichristGirl
any of its ok as long as it sticks. i was watchin a vid on this and like the guy said all the recipes works so no real right and wrong way :)
By scully
Oh I hope you come back and check here because I can actually answer this!

Over on stolloween pumpkins, he uses Cellulose insulation which is all natural and basically, dried paper pulp. I could only find it locally at Lowe's. The other hardware stores didnt carry it. I got a HUGE bag (size of a small bail of hay) for $14 I think. It might have been a bit less, it was a few months ago when I bought it.

You mix the cellulose insulation with your papier mache glue/mix (the stuff you dip the strips in) until you get the consistency of paste.

I started to make some papier mache pumpkins like those on Stolloween's site. I have all the materials and I have my pumpkins bagged, tied and taped. I even ripped up two giant boxes of newspaper but I havent gotten down to the actual papier mache part! I mention this only so you know that I haven't tried to make the pulp yet but I'm sure this cellulose stuff will work, the stuff looks like boiled newspaper went through a wood chipper. (Its "green" so has no fiberglass or anything like that) If you need to know the specific brand I can check but if you ask anyone at Lowes for it they can take you right to it.

Hope this helps and please post some pictures of your progress! I'd love to see them :)
By paddy_babe
Hi Scully :D

I'll defo post pics of progress, you do 2!
I had a little problem with my first pumpkin.... I cut out the face before doing the papier mache clay to the top and stem..... it was a great face but collasped. :( (BTW omg it is really fiddly and hard to put the cardboard strips around the mouth, eyes etc... I used prix stick glue (glue sticks) and a LOT of patience.. hope that helps)
my next one I decided NOT to carve the face and just mold the face on (I figured I could paint the detail... I'm good at painting lol) so I dont know how this will turn out.

As for the Cellulose insulation I didnt have a chance to go out and get anything like that, and I wouldnt know where to look (I'm in the uk). So I just went mad in the kitchen with the blender. I mixed paper, boiling water until it was all 'mashy' and resembled pulp. I noticed it was a bit watery so I added plain flour and a blob of PVA glue (white glue). That seems to work great...

I'm just waiting for it to dry now (how long does it take?!? lol) I stuck it in front of the fire last night and that seemed to help. I figure if it is mostly dry (like the outside) I can paint it, then the rest (if not dry) will dry during the weeks upto halloween.

I might try and use the same technique to make a spider aswell... I love using the stuff, and my partner just brought home a BIG bag of shredded paper from work :D
By CombichristGirl
probably not before Halloween this year but soon i wanna look into all that. tp works good for what ive been doing but id like to try some other stuff oput as well :)
i cannot wait to see the pics u should do some progress pics :)
By paddy_babe
ok these are the pics, but please remember I'm not fineshed! lol
the pics are not great as its all the same colour, but its to give you an idea of what stage I'm at (papier mache clay bit).
(**you might need to click on the pics to see them fully, I'm still getting the hang of photobucket lol**)

I put the lighter to give some idea on the size (this is my smaller 'kin, the bigger one collapsed :( )

these pics are better as I took the flash off lol....

will look better tonight as I'm painting it so will post those pics :D
By SaneInsideInsanity
o0o0o0 sinsiter looking....debates starting more maché...no bad jess bad you just finsihed getting all of it off the floor.....but o0o0 so stick sinsiter fun...no......sigh
huh what
By paddy_babe
SaneInsideInsanity wrote:o0o0o0 sinsiter looking....debates starting more maché...no bad jess bad you just finsihed getting all of it off the floor.....but o0o0 so stick sinsiter fun...no......sigh
huh what
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I say go for it, theres 40 days to halloween theres enough time (and enough time for the clean up). I think my partner wants to have a go at a spider tonight :D
By SaneInsideInsanity
I'm working on my coffins currently and some stryo pillars for some reason i dont think mache and stryo will mixx well on my hardwood :P....that my my guy will have a fit just like when i spray paint in the house....
By CombichristGirl
that is awesome i love it keep at it. i cant wait to see it all painted up :) :o