Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
so this is the front of my house im trying to figure out how to make it into a Mausoleum for halloween this year...and i mean compltely start of the stairs to the peak any ideas?

My house at night tell me you cannot pictue this

Last edited by SaneInsideInsanity on Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
By SuperSonic
well tombstones are a must for ANY masoleum but id start of with getting everything you need such as a large coffin somewhere on the ground ( if you want animatronics to make it open and shut would be great but most likley expensive as s*** :( ) as well as throwing in some skeletons around the stairs hanging off the landing leading towards the door cob webs also a must and some foggers wouldnt hurt... well thats my ideas takem or leave em :)
By SaneInsideInsanity
I already have a full graveyard set...and im building more toepincher coffins out of my old fence boards :D so pumped i should have been clearer i want to acctually make the stair up into a mausoleum like this...
By SuperSonic
well with my creative mind "it should be exceedingly simple i think" (NBC Dr. Ficklestein) well to start if you have any of those old fence boards left over from those coffins use them and beat the s*** out of them when made into stairs to make em look old and then use paint to add to the effect to make it look like its rotting and also try to give it a "grainy" effect
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Your front porch area sure does look like it could be a mausoleum. I would think that pieces of distressed foam could give you the effect of old stonework. But how to cover that much surface area, I'm not sure.

There used to be a family in my old neighborhood that turned the entire front of their home into a castle. Basically, it was a massive wood facade (perhaps several pieces that could come apart for storage) and they'd somehow attach it to the front of their house. With decorative window shapes cutout where their real windows were. And electronically lit sconces/torches on the outside.

Theirs was a big undertaking, covering their whole house and all. If you did just your porch you might be able to do something similar. Maybe cut some pieces of light plywood to the basic shapes of your porch roof and support posts, and then attach some foam "stone" blocks to the wood boards. At the very least, you could probably make yourself a cool "stone" archway.

I have no specific experience with this sort of build, just brainstorming. :)
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I just dug up a couple photos of the castle house I mentioned (archived in the Halloween 2002 digital camera folder). Looking at them now, this may not be much like what you want, but since I brought it up, I figured it couldn't hurt to share the photos.

By SuperSonic
and thats a house :shock: lord almighty thats a kick ass house
By SaneInsideInsanity
Thanks for the Ideas Ryan I was kicking something along that around for at least the stairs making slide on plywood cover slightly wider the the steps Maybe Dying Sheets for the sides to keep cost down this year. The wood Facade on the whole thing is a good idea though....I'll have to go get some plywood :D.

Also That Castle made me cry a little i think It should also be on the meadevil post...
By SaneInsideInsanity
I am just going to merge my decorating for this year with this post to save space. Going to go get lumber for the mausoleum today hopefully and start working on some toe pinchers. I started on my Hanging Man yesterday i need to get cobwebs today to finsihs him and the egg sacks off ill post pics later when he's done. :D Im just really excited right now, not gonna lie
By purple1worm
Spray painting several sheets to look like stone and hanging them to facade could work. I've seen decorative wall coverings that you hang on your walls to make them look like a dungeon!! That's for indoors. Unless you hang several of them!!
By Dadja
I thought the mausoleum in "The haunted mansion" looked pretty awesome... maybe you'll find some inspiration there...

One thing you could do is in the triangle above the door:

close it with a Styrofoam board, make a circle in it, like a window, put a light behind it and a raven in it... kinda like this (rush job)

By SaneInsideInsanity
i was thinking something similar acctually only with a ledge and a gargoyle....though the raven is also i good idea...
By SaneInsideInsanity
I ended up just doing a temp setu out of cardbboard this year next years will be better there are a few pics up on my photobucket...My bf had the camera all night and i had no time so there are not as many pics as i would have liked
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v632/blackorchid86/
By nosferatu
Wow! You were busy. Looks excellent. Great carves as I would expect and looks like everyone was having a fun time at the party.

Cool!
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Sane, you did great with your decorations! The coffin, the webs, the spider pods, the bottles and jars... all very well done. I like your zombie carving theme (with Coraline in the mix, looking at bit scared for her life). Also nice to see both Sams in there. Flaming pumpkins too! Looks like everyone had a good time, based on these photos. Lots of good costumes.

I also made some zombie brain cupcakes for my party. The cake part of mine were colored bright green with neon food coloring. And the brain tops were pink frosting: