Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
By mesmark
The castle wall is done and here it is loosely erected on my deck.

I learned a lot as I was trying to put that all together by myself. The first thing was ... I shouldn't try to put it together all by myself :)

Luckily there was almost no wind.

Also, I should have made the door out of 2 pieces instead of between two pieces. It's not very stable with that top piece floating up there.

I'm also just going to put a black sheet behind the door, like a curtain. I don't have time to make a gate or a door.

Anway, it should work for this year. It's a little weak and I'm not sure it's going to hold up year after year.

Now, I need to get to work on the accessories ...
By nosferatu
Brilliant job and can't wait to see it fully "decked" out
By The451Kid
Excellent job and really impressive work. I am also looking forward to seeing it all "decked" out.
By mesmark
Thanks guys, I appreciate the nice comments. Hopefully, it will all come together and "all decked out" will look better than the pieces ...

I just can't handle the headaches that have come with the fan blowing the flame ideas. It just doesn't seem like it's going to happen or it's going to be more expensive than the effect is worth. (It'd be cheaper to pay someone to go to Target, buy those other torches and mail them to me :) )

Anyway, I decided to try some plain old cut out flames taped to the sides of a cup ...

Here are my popcorn cups in the process of being transformed

here are my flames templates and cuts out of some silky red and yellow fabric

And I dashed on some gray to make the torches look a bit less "brand new". They were really shiny. Again, I went a little overboard because the pictures and effect is really meant to be from a distance.

the finished product full light and up close:

I put a strobe light inside and if it were a bit dark, it looks pretty good. I tried to capture it, but it didn't photograph so well

Anyway, the castle will be on a stage. I keep the curatins closed for the first part of the party and then unveil the stage decorations later. I might be able to kill the lights and dim the room a bit for a couple ohhhhs and ahhhhs.
By nosferatu
They look great too! The effort and craftsmanship that you and your family have invested in your theme for this year is truly outstanding.

You must be really proud of your achievements...I know I would be. If there was an emoticon that applauded, they would be filling the screen right now.
By gregh3196
Looks great mesmark! You guys put a lot of work into your theme and i cant wait to see pics of the big night :D
By mesmark
Thanks!

Well, this year we have gone a bit "out".

Last year we didn't do much of anything because my wife was 9 months pregnant and I was on costumes, games, pumpkin and cookie duty. I also have a bit more time this year, due to some changes with work (all good changes - I'd rather have the time.)

This year is a bit of a make up for last year. Also, we're not going to have a Christmas party this year, so it's safe to put a little more effort into Halloween.
By SaneInsideInsanity
Great work Mark I wish i could come...unfourtuatly your a bit far me thinks
By monstermash
All of your work is fantastic!! It reminds me of a show called the Crystal maze. I too wish i could come but ill have to make do with the hammy props ive made.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Great solution for the flames. Considering a big part of their use will likely be for photos, they'll be frozen in time when you snap the picture anyway. A strobe light in there sounds like a cool idea though!

Again, congrats on all that hard work. You're surely making up for last year. And as for Christmas... people will still be so busy still talking about your Halloween displays to even notice any lack of Christmas party.
By mesmark
Thanks everybody for taking a look. I'll probably update the first post with final pictures once they're all in. That way it'll make more sense for someone just glancing at this thread.

Anyway, the last piece of my plan has been put in place.

This isn't really Halloween decorating per se, but it's a game I'm going to play and the losers will become part of the decorations :twisted:

I made some stocks!

Here is a brave volunteer willing to bear the stocks for testing purposes.

For the game kids will be put in the stocks and be given 2 skulls. They will have to throw the skulls from a certain distance into a bucket.

If they get 1 of the skulls into the bucket, they win! And they will get the best prize that's up for offer (either a stamp pen or a skull cell phone strap.)

If they don't ... :twisted:

they have to go sit in the dungeon with the stocks on :lol: (until we need them for the next person.

Here's our gracious volunteer failing to throw a cute pink ball into the bucket.

a big hand for our volunteer Image

and finally the three sets of stocks drying in the sun

Notice I didn't get any feet in the most recent pictures :)

That does it for me and the decoration side of the party prep (for the most part.) The stocks are pretty easy to make and I've thought I might need a few more sets so we can get kids in them and have a few people idle in the dungeon. I have the styrofoam and paint, enough for a few more. We'll see.

Now it's into the kitchen with me and helping the Mrs. get cookies and treats ready for 100+ party guest.

Tonight I was hoping to carve a little, but I actually had to do some work (bummer.) But, tomorrow the carving begins!