Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
I have two but one is almost dead pump blockage I suspect shame it was £3.00 new & 1200 watts
my other (asda / walmart/ wally world) is 700watts but gets cold & plays up, so how do you ensure it works ALL night without fail?
I placed some insulation board around it but cannot tell if that really worked! ..do I need to stick it in a mineral wool filled cardboard box?
help appreciated I'd like to use this more often.
By GUS
Admirable response on that one folks! :lol:
..so much so I thought I'd ad this to the thread (rather than start a new one)

I'm back up to 3 foggers total
2 x constant fx 1200 watts & the wally world unit for this year (I think) ...lots of hopefully creeping fog all night

Q. the 1200watt units are din plug variety, will any din fog timer work with them do you reckon (i'm looking at the interval timer variety, as I've not seen wireless remotes for these.

cheers
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Sorry I can't be of more help, Gus. Sounds like you have more fogger experience than me. I'm actually learning by listening to your descriptions here. Hehe. Hopefully you'll find your answers somewhere, or by your own experimentation. Feel free to share your updates and findings. Good luck!
By GUS
..i'm Just going to have to "choke" buy one & see then sell it in a huff on ebay if it does not do the buisness!
By GUS
ok, seems like I;m the sites fog man then! (..every haunt needs fog) I've nailed on a few links for folks, regards good cheap (if you can find em foggers, the unit I use has high praise from those who sell them as it's high powered & less prone to cold than all the others in the affordable range...

http://gotfog.com/fog_machine_faq.html

http://gotfog.com/fog_machine_chiller.html
(same site good make your own low lying fog)

http://gotfog.com/vortex1-1.html
(making a fog tunnel effect with fog & a basic slide projector)
By GUS
Forgot to say if you want a constant fogger that will generally withstand a good amount of cold (but beter to feed it inside to outside like all foggers (via a smooth) tube not touching the hot nozzle) ..a constant fx fogger available at wally world amongst others... this machine has a very strong pump which a pro-shop stated upon having a nosey was actually better than a machine costing thousands of dollars!

generally it is best to use the brand specific fog juice so it matches in with vapourisation of the liquid on the fog hot plate prior to being ejected as fog. (xtending the lifespan of your purchase)

Wetting your lawn will help the fog stick & hang compared to dry lawns which will let it drift away immediately..

firing into the back of a tombstone or similar will help catch & disperse creeping fog (a little bit, just remember that fog is hot when it comes out so not into anything that'll melt (eg polystyrene,
use a bit of board or similar)
By heeljeff
I was out and around today and went into the recently-opened Spirit store nearby. They were displaying the bubble-fogger (fog inside bubbles) you may have seen online http://www.buycostumes.com/Fog-Filled-B ... etail.aspx . From looking online, I would never have even considered this thing, but I have to say that it worked well. It was incredibly addicting just standing there popping the bubbles to watch the fog explode out and disappear. My daughter was especialy excited. It was 69.99, which is a good part of my Halloween budget, so it didn't make it home with me. However, later in the day I saw the same machine at Target (albeit in a Target branded box,) for $49.99.
By scully
Wetting your grass helps it stick!?!?! I am definitely trying this!!

I am in California and sadly, Halloween night last year it was about 70-75 degrees. I built a fog chiller but it really didnt seem to have much effect because it was so dang hot out. It would hug the ground for about 2 feet then just float away and vaporize. :oops:

I also think my fogger takes way too long between fog bursts to get really effective fog. Mostly though, the temperature is what is killing my effect.

Hopefully it will be colder this year and I will try that wetting the lawn trick and let you know if if worked for me. Thanks for the tips!!

Julie
By mesmark
heeljeff wrote:I was out and around today and went into the recently-opened Spirit store nearby. They were displaying the bubble-fogger (fog inside bubbles) you may have seen online http://www.buycostumes.com/Fog-Filled-B ... etail.aspx . ...
I bought one of these and gave it a test run. It was a big hit with my kids but after 10 minutes inside, the room was all smokey and I don't know if I'll be able to use it at my party. The hall I rent out is quite large (15x the size of the test room with 20ft ceilings) but I don't want to set of any smoke alarms or annoy guests.

I'm going to take it down the the fire station and see what the officials think ... Maybe just doing it near an open door or window with a fan will be OK ...
By GUS
you need to do the chiller thing to keep it low amongst the kids ankles, sometimes it can be an irritant if enough is ingested though.. try out the ice cooler method. (you tube)
By SaneInsideInsanity
Thankfully mine always stay pretty low to the ground due to the weather here im thinking of picking up a second fogger this year
By punchi
What is the difference in using a fog machine as apposed to dry ice? How does a fog machine work? This is something I'm going to experiment with this year, but I don't really have a lot of money to spend. How big of an area does a fog machine cover? What is the minimum wattage worth buying?
By SaneInsideInsanity
im not an expert i just plug it in lol refer to hus' links they have some great q&a things i would have never thought about
By GUS
Dry ice is blooming expensive & hard to store unless you're lucky, even then it can cause burns to anyone unaware as to handling & storeage.

A fogger (wattage = output with less re-heat time between bursts)
so 700watts + is a must.

fog fluid is cheap, there are different variations (recipes) ..& over your way foggers are cheap!

My recommendation is the constant fx 1200watt fogger which really is constant (hard wired remote only) & if filled frquently will push out more fog than you'd ever need for a domestic situation...

They are cheap & are kept by those in the know as the design is generally work horse like.
Do clean em out after a nights work...
Do use a brand recommended fog fluid if you have more than a basic plate fed fogger (imho) ..as this is what killed my first 1200 watt machine, NOT using the correct liquid shortened it's lifespan.