Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
By The Captain
So... for those of you who have made their own tombstones, how do you display them? What did you use to make them stand up and how were they mounted? Pictures would be nice. Thanks for any help :D
By CanadianCarver
Here's what I do. I have a long drill bit, and I drill 2 holes about 12 inches, up through the bottom of the tombstone. I then pound 2 pieces of rebar into the ground, and slide the tombstone onto the rebar. This has worked very well for me. I have not had an issue with them blowing away.
By Cheef
or like i do, punch a hole about 1/2 inch thick and 6 - 8 inches deep in the bottom of your tombstone. take a 1/2 inch dowel that is about 12 inches long, put half of it in the ground, then slide the tombstone over it.

Ive never lost a tombstone. bigger tombstones i just do this twice..
By The Captain
The foam will handle the drill without breaking the tombstone? Thank you both. I'm going to do a combo of both suggestions.
By CombichristGirl
hmm that makes sense. man for some nice tomb stones premade they were wanting 20 to 30 bucks at the store i was at today. how much would a sheet of that pink foam stuff be or what do u like to use?
By The Captain
I paid about 20 for a 8x4 sheet 2 inch thick at that orange home supply store. Yeah and then try getting it in a Saturn, I was hot cutting in the parking lot :shock:
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Haha, I had that same problem buhdewsy. I bought a large piece of insulation foam board and merrily carried it out to my car before realizing, "Uh, okay, how am I going to fit this in my car?" I used a Swiss army knife blade to score a line, and then snapped it cleanly in half to fit into the car. Worked well.
By CombichristGirl
excellent i think i will be giving it a go and remember to bring a cutting tool with if i get the money if not i can do it later year round to get ready :D
By CanadianCarver
Yes, the foam handles the drill without issue. Just be careful to go in level so the bit doesn't pop through the front or back of the tombstone. I have drilled 16 tombstones this way and never had an issue.
By The Captain
Thanks CC! Popping through the front was what I was worried about, as I had a similar problem with a store bought tombstone. I'll just have to be careful drilling: D
By CanadianCarver
I actually buy 1.5 inch styrofoam insulation. It is not the pink or blue, but the cheaper white "popcorn" looking one. I buy it in 16 inch wide pieces, 8 feet long. Again, three 16 inch pieces are cheaper than one 4 foot wide piece, and 16 inches is a nice width for a tomstone. Saves some cutting time too. I then take 2 of these pieces and glue them together with an aerosal spray glue, so I actually end up with a 3 inch thick tombstone. It looks a little more substantial, and is easier to drill the holes into. This leaves me a 3 inch thick, 16 inch wide, 8 foot piece of foam. I then either cut it in half for two tall 48 inch tombstones, or I cut it in 3 and get three 32 inch tall tombstones.

Once you cut out the shape of your tombstone, sand it, and paint it, you don't see the line where the 2 pieces were glued together. This has worked well for me, and was the cheapest way to go!
By SaneInsideInsanity
CanadianCarver wrote:Here's what I do. I have a long drill bit, and I drill 2 holes about 12 inches, up through the bottom of the tombstone. I then pound 2 pieces of rebar into the ground, and slide the tombstone onto the rebar. This has worked very well for me. I have not had an issue with them blowing away.

I do the same and then mound mulch and leaves around to give a musty smell, and some i keep fresh looking, with a pile pf fresh dirt a shovel and normaly a hand or two.
:wink:
By Sind3315
I've been interested in making tombstones, of course I don't have a yard yet, but my crafty side just can't resist!

What's your method of painting? Do you bevel the edges and all? If so, what's your method for that?
By CanadianCarver
Sandpaper will "round" out the edges pretty quickly. As for painting, I use a small paint roller and latex paint. Spray paint will eat the styrofoam so don't use that.