Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
By GUS
Theres a really good quick lightweight one (plans) somewhere involving large amounts of duct tape, that certainly looked ok in pictures , I'll try & find it for you, gould even have been on a recent link from here, ..just checked look oH Henry's post (below this)? for spooky blue, theres a really good one there (lightweight)
By mesmark
Thanks Gus, that's totally doable, but I'm affraid the 60 monkeys that will be coming to the party will destroy it in about 10 minutes.

I like that it's light and looks like it's made of wood. If I made it out of plywood it would be pretty heavy and I'd probably just paint it black and put a skull or something on the top ...
By CanadianCarver
Hey mesmark, I made this one last year. The instructions are quite good. (Edit: Updated URL)
http://www.scarefx.com/project_coffin_2.html

It is made from fence boards so it is pretty cheap to make. It is also quite strong. As a bonus, you can store your other Halloween items in it during the off season.

Here is a pic of mine. I lined the inside with black fabric.
By CombichristGirl
nice work may be in the comming years i will have a lil more to spend on this stuff and i can do it out of season to free up carving time lol. very nice looking and with some sort of stain/paint yes
By GUS
CanadianCarver wrote:Hey mesmark, I made this one last year. The instructions are quite good.
(Edit: Updated URL)
http://www.scarefx.com/project_coffin_2.html

It is made from fence boards so it is pretty cheap to make. It is also quite strong. As a bonus, you can store your other Halloween items in it during the off season.

Here is a pic of mine. I lined the inside with black fabric.
nEEDS A BIG HANDFUL OF WASHED MAGGOTS FOR NOSEY KIDS! :lol:
By Tkaraoke
This is a funny story about coffins...

My friend's brother-in-law is a carpenter and one year decided (for my friend's 40th birthday party) to make an actual coffin out of wood so we could put all of her presents in it and give it to her. The plan would be that whoever's 40th b-day was next, they would get the coffin until the next person reached 40. While he was in the driveway finishing it up, one of the neighbors looked over (who hadn't seen it before) and gave him the most awful look imaginable. He had to explain all of this to her in fear that she would have called the authorities! ROFLMAO!
:D
By Cheef
holy crap, that coffin is awesome. gonna put it on my list for next year.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
That is a good looking coffin plan. It's a big prop, but I love that you can store stuff in it during the off season. Makes it actually seem practical to make one. I already have a lot of orange plastic bins for storing Halloween stuff. But a coffin... that's storage AND a prop in itself.
By gregh3196
Nice Job! I made one last year also that is almost exactly like yours, right down to the fence boards. I will try to post some pics if i can find them
By CanadianCarver
zombiepumpkins wrote:Makes it actually seem practical to make one.
This is what I kept telling my wife the whole time I was making it!!!
By CombichristGirl
it does make sense why not kill two bird with one stone? lol hmm that gives me an idea what about taking a fake raven and crushing its middle a lil and adding some "guts and blood" like a crazy cat just flipped on it have it chill on the ground by the porch or in the driveway?
By Innuendo
I just finished making the same coffin as the plans CanadianCarver made...
5 hours to cut out the wood... 4 hours to build...
Only had one problem with the design.
The fence boards here in Canada are slightly different in width. After cutting all the boards, I found I had to recut all the width pieces to have them fit properly.
Other than that little problem it was easy to build and turned out great...
Was also a little taken back that it really wasn't as heavy as I thought it would be.
Thanks CdnCarver for the link to a great site.
By CanadianCarver
Innuendo wrote:Thanks CdnCarver for the link to a great site.
No problem! Always glad to help spread the Halloween "sickness"

Let's see some pictures of the new coffin!!