Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
Hi guys. Just thought i would share my plans for my new tomb stones i'm doing this year. I'm blaming the collectible villages thread this year for my inspiration that finally hit me this morning.

I was going over the forums last night and saw the collectible village With the Nightmare Before Christmas theme. It reminded me that i had not watched that movie in quite some time. So when the dogs woke me up 2 hours early this morning I decided to pop it in the dvd player just for fun. Well it didnt take long, because as soon as Jack was singing his song in the beginning of the movie and walking trough the graveyard i really began to notice how cool and abstract the grave stones were that he was walking past. So, i quickly was inspired, paused the movie a few times and made a sketch of 4 new tombstones that i could easily make and produce in a couple hours of free time.

So, Im heading to Lowes and Michaels to pick up the basic supplies i need.

looks like im gonna start tweaking my house to a pseudo Nightnmare before Christmas theme.

I'll update with some pics as i go.

Have i ever said how much i love this website. plus you regulars are the bomb. so inspiring here..
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Great post, Cheef. Now you have ME inspired. I don't think I'll be tackling the tombstone project this season, but I love the idea of making some funky abstract grave markers like those in the Halloween Town cemetery. Can't wait to see the photos of your progress and final project.
By Cheef
Also, anyone have any idea how Pumpkin Rot might have done his ghost effects on his display last year. those guys coming up out of the ground and whisping arund are just outrageous.

if you dont know what im talking about go to pumpkinrot.com

im referring more specifically to the guys in this photo.

http://pumpkinrot.com/images/2007_13.jpg

i would like to do something similar..

i can make tomb stones like a mad man, but the special effects stuff can over whelm me if i let it.
By Kittie
That is too crazy, I was thinking of doing some Nightmare toombstones this year!!
By Cheef
lol, ive always kind of thought of you as my kindred halloween spirit on the forums kittie. :roll:
By Cheef
guess i'll show you what ive done so far today. this is probly gonna end up being one of those step by step guides according to Cheef before its all done.

1. Using your awesome artistic skills, scribble out what your looking for after you've been inspired on any old piece of scratch paper you see lying around.

2. Go to your local big giant hardware store type place and get yourself a couple sheets of the blue 8'x2'x2" foam insulation board. once you get home, refer back to your handy dandy scratch paper and using a sharpee draw out your tomb stones on the stuff. try to do a better job of maximizing your space, u could probably 4 stones out of one if you think it through. i prefer to not think and just muscle through..

3. Using a foam cutting tool of some kind, i use a hack saw blade with a high tech duct tape wrap handle, cut out your patterns. be careful not to breath in the little pieces of styrofoam while cutting if your using a saw like me, its akin to breathing volcanic ash. not good at all. so wear a mask or something. ( your gonna have a lot of chunks of foam board left over, save it for future projects.)

i will update more as i go along, but as of now the garage, i mean my lab, is about 95 degrees and i don't feel like working in those conditions, i would have to give myself a raise.

more to come..
By Kittie
That is funny too! I was going to finally do a guide this year!

Great Minds think alike!

heheh
By Cheef
i dont know if i would call what im doing a guide, maybe a cheap guys guide to making passable tombstones. :lol:

the stones you guys make are much more detailed. but they both work. im going into year 4 with the first ones i made. they need some quick patch painting done from 3 years of use, and last year was awful weather wise.
By The Captain
Cheef wrote:Also, anyone have any idea how Pumpkin Rot might have done his ghost effects on his display last year. those guys coming up out of the ground and whisping arund are just outrageous.

if you dont know what im talking about go to pumpkinrot.com

im referring more specifically to the guys in this photo.

http://pumpkinrot.com/images/2007_13.jpg

i would like to do something similar..

i can make tomb stones like a mad man, but the special effects stuff can over whelm me if i let it.
He works with a heavy duty paper mache and those ghost appear to have a layer of cheese cloth over them.
By CanadianCarver
Cheef wrote: i use a hack saw blade with a high tech duct tape wrap handle,
I use this saw for my tombstones and it works very well.
Tombstone Saw

I am making 8 new tombstones this year. This is the saw I used to cut all of them. The blade is flexible which helps to go around rounded edges. Good luck with your tombstones!
By Thunderclap
I don't know how Pumpkinrot does his figures, but he is my halloween idol. He has some of the coolest, and creepiest set ups I have seen.