Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I'm looking to put together a standing scarecrow, and I wonder if anyone had advice (or a handy web link) for how to build a support for hold him up.

Basically, I'm trying to figure out what sort of base to make, so he doesn't tip over. I could bolt together a few 2x4's or PVC pipe or something... but before I go winging it, if someone could point me towards a resource for a tried and true structural plan, that would be excellent. :) Thanks!
By amandap80
Ryan,
This is something Kyle and I have perfected over a few years. Of course, our scarecrow is stuck into the ground, not using a stand. Also, our scarecrow is frickin heavy, made of grapevines with a huge real pumpkin head. I have attached a crude diagram. The main post is constructed out of 2x2s, the arms are also. A 5x5 square of plywood with huge nails thru it is mounted on top, to hold the pumpkin. The bottom is sharpened to fit in a 2 inch PVC pipe, buried 16 inches in the ground. Of course, the pipe stays in the front yard each year. So, I don't know if the idea is feasible for you. The scarecrow is very sturdy!
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Thunderclap - Pumpkin Rot does have some great inspiration. Someday I'll make displays like all that. For this year, I already know what my scarecrow will look like though. Basically, I plan to hang up my Patch Master costume on a pole. Hey, if I'm not using it, might as well display it somehow, right?

amanda - Great advice, I'll use that method if I ever make a scarecrow like that. My needs are sort of reversed though. My scarecrow will probably be pretty lightweight. And rather than stuck in the ground, I need him to be mobile, so I can set him up in different locations.
By amandap80
My scarecrow is also over 9 feet tall :twisted:

I went a little over board....
Hard to believe, I know....
I wanted to go for the Sleepy Hollow Scarecrow look. Hence the grapevines, and he is draped with torn black cheesecloth.

Maybe a stand with a 2x2 square base, with large nails to secure him to the ground? Then, you can just pull the nails out of the ground and move him. I wish I knew the name of the nails, but they are about as wide as my finger and 7 or 8 inches long.
By S.A.M
I wanted to do a standing scarecrow last year but I wasn't confident enough with what I had made would stand the weight of a pumpkin so I went for a sitting down scarecrow.

I'd like to try and do a traditional scarecrow this year so with the advice amanda has posted I may well give it another go, thanks.
By stormqueen29
Just something I thought of.

You could probably put a pole into a weighted base like for a patio umbrella and it would be both mobile and sturdy.

Just my two cents.

Gale
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Gale, that's so logical, I'm slapping myself in the forehead for not thinking of it. I'll have to give that a shot, before I go making it more complicated than it needs to be, right? :)
By KILLER KLOWN
That's the way to do it(weighted stand). Get a 5 gallon bucket at the local Home Depot(cheap) fill it with "Quickcrete"(cheap) and while it's setting-up stick a pole in there. That is how they set-up Satellite dishes for apartment complexes. It's a portable pole mount! :)

Later...T