Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
By Thunderclap
great display buhdewsy! I like the whole voodoo theme. Great job on the zombies crawling out of the graves. :twisted:
By Zombie Pumpkins!
buhdewsy - Your voodoo ghouls look really creepy in their natural habitat. The dark lighting and smoke... the pics are great, but I'm sure they don't do the display justice compared to seeing it in person.

The voodoo theme was a great way to take your display in a slightly new direction. Your costume totally fits the part. I like the idea of the chalk designs on the ground too!

I'm sorry I wasn't able to come up with some voodoo pumpkin designs (or even Dia de los Muertos perhaps) which would have fit the design style of your decor. But there's always next year!

Is it frustrating at all, that you put so much work into it, and then it all gets packed away after just one night (with only 21 kids)?

I guess the building process is half the fun... and seeing your in-progress shots is half the fun for us too! You projects are inspiring.
By The Captain
Thank you everyone for the comments and compliments.

I have always found the practice of Voodoo very interesting and I finally got to visit New Orleans for the first time this year. I guess the trip was the main inspiration for my theme this year. While in New Orleans we went on a historic ghost tour (that was more historic then ghostly, but that’s a different story for another time). Toward the end of the tour we were passing behind the Saint Louis Cathedral and the tour guide pointed out the beautiful shadow that a statue of Jesus in the gardens cast.

It was amazing, but what he didn’t talk about that caught our attention was at the foot of the big locked gates, it was a Voodoo chalk glyph. I didn’t take a picture of it, I wish I had, but it became the seed in my head for the Voodoo theme. Also another little seed and a bit of the theme you didn’t get to experience was the Conjure of Sacrifice from the movie Skeleton Key. A very creepy Hoodoo chant set to primitive drumming

“From these chains, Lord,
Break me”.

“From this prison, Lord,
Take me”.

zombiepumpkins wrote:
Is it frustrating at all, that you put so much work into it, and then it all gets packed away after just one night (with only 21 kids)?
I wouldn’t say that it’s frustrating; maybe disappointing a little that I don’t feel safe leaving my stuff out. No one has ever stolen or damaged anything at my house, but I don’t want to give them a chance to either. We were talking just today about fencing options so we can put it all out earlier next year. I lie to myself and say it’s magical for the neighborhood kids to go to school on Halloween and there is nothing in our yard, but when they come home it’s all spooked out. I actually think it would build excitement by having some of it up earlier, and maybe putting the zombies out day of. I have wrestled with this the last two years, I need a fence whether permanent or a themed temporary fence. The amount of kids is cool, I would be happy if it was more, but I don’t really want 300 kids. 50 -75 would be cool.

I build my stuff for me. I build my stuff because I love Halloween. I build my stuff because I love horror movies and anything scary. I build my stuff because I want to impress my online Halloween peers. I build my stuff because I’ll probably never get around to writing that amazing horror movie I’ve always wanted to. I build my stuff because most people frown on grown men trick r’ treating! I build my stuff because I want to help create someone else’s fond memories of Halloween.

I build my stuff because . . . . .

Ps
I already have a theme for next year, and it's going to be twice as big as this year. I'm totally excited! 355 Days!
By gregh3196
I agree with you buhdewsy, we had about 35-40 kids and it is a lot of work for one night but its so much fun just getting ready and planning everything that its worth it. We were debating to do it next year and came to the same conclusion, we do it because WE enjoy it. The more kids the better of course, last year we put some stuff up about a week ahead of time and had more trick or treaters so we are planning on starting early next year. Either way as long as im able i wil be decorating. :D
By haktup
That is the best shot of that statue I have ever seen. I love the big easy way to much fun there plus all the cool stuff to see.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Hey Captain, I'm using a voodoo chant to resurrect this old thread. ;)

I may have need for some voodoo reference, so I was wondering if you had any information (like links to websites maybe) about the voodoo culture (particularly the traditions that came over to the US, as in New Orleans style).

I know a bit about the culture (I took an interesting "magic and religion" class in college that covered voodoo) but I'm in search of visual examples. Those symbols you drew on the sidewalk and such.... did you make them up or work from some reference?
By The Captain
Ryan we had just come back from New Orleans and I had seen a couple glyphs on the sidewalk there and a few images online. I just made mine up, Jen would have killed me if she found out I was drawing real deal voodoo symbols in the driveway! :P

Here are the links I had saved.

http://www.hauntedamericatours.com/voodoo/

http://www.voodoomuseum.com/index.php?o ... e&Itemid=1

http://www.voodooshop.com/voodoo/vever.html

Heres a Google search for symbols

http://images.google.com/images?source= ... e&resnum=1

Are you doing a VooDoo themed party?
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Great, thanks for the info and links. I'm not entirely sure what I'll do with the voodoo theme yet. Might just make a few props for fun. Which could end up decorating my pumpkin party, or become part of my Halloween night display. If that happens, I hope you won't think I'm trying to copy your 2008 theme. Voodoo is something I've always found interesting... and it's cool because it has some supernatural connections, but isn't necessarily the same ol' Halloween theme you see everywhere else.
By nosferatu
Does this mean you are researching a witch doctor pattern or perhaps some other sort of shamen?
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Any sort of shamanism is pretty intriguing. The belief in magic and the spirit worlds. I also think that witch doctor themes are interesting. When it comes to Halloween decorating and costuming, these themes sometimes mix with voodoo ideas. But right now I'm sort of leaning towards New Orleans style voodoo specifically. If I end up making patterns on these themes, I'm sure I'd put my own twist and visual stamp on it.
By nosferatu
If I end up making patterns on these themes, I'm sure I'd put my own twist and visual stamp on it.
Thats what we are here for!
By The Captain
zombiepumpkins wrote:If that happens, I hope you won't think I'm trying to copy your 2008 theme.
Man we are both way past the fourth grade! :lol: It's not like I founded the practice of Voodoo :D No worries. I look forward to seeing you take on it. Mine was kind of rushed last year (somebody booked a cruise in October) and I didn't get to do everything I wanted to. The best yard displays and party themes are the totally unexpected ones, and Voodoo is definitely unexpected. I have the audio of "The conjure of sacrifice from the movie Skeleton Key, the record the play in the movie.

"It is time, Lord
From the dry dust
Out of these chains
From the Devil's house
It is time, Lord
To take me
From the dry dust
Break me
From these chains
Bring me
From the Devil's house
Take me out of darkness
Walk me out of blindness
Lift me out of sadness
Save me from my damned-ness
Please, Lord
It is time, Lord
(repeat)"

"Mom Ryan's copying me!"
By SaneInsideInsanity
Now kids haven't you ever heard coping is the sincerest form of flattery...

Great link I may use some myself im sure i can tie them into the crypt somehow i normally go with more Celtic pagan/ Pictish symbols...come with the territory...but i think i may mix and match a bit now
By Zombie Pumpkins!
The Captain wrote:"Mom Ryan's copying me!"
:lol: Well... I try to pride myself on originality. With this site in particular, I'm always hoping to be unique and constantly innovate. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but I'd rather look like a leader than a follower.

That said, where can I get that audio from The Skeleton Key, I totally want to copy that idea! :P