Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
By GUS
Ok, so we all know that in the run up to halloween that we're busy, let standards of personal hygiene slip due to the "event" ..which means either setting up your display really early in the month OR leaving it all to the last minute!

..with this in mind what sticks out in your memory as a good visual (from a distance, eg driving down the road and seeing something from say 100 metres away+ ) ...that makes the normal joes think H'mmm must go there / get the kids to go there on the 31st ???

As I live down the bottom of a cul-de-sac it's not necessarily obvious, so suggestions please!

..my initial thought other than my 12 ft skeleton on the side of the house is for a long stake with a BIG lit pumpkin or two on top (thus the need for maybe solar lighting, something that in the dark would be obvious, floating & well crafted (ie a zp stencil) as you drove by.
anyone? :?
By Dr. Frybrain
I have a 6 foot airblown pumpkin that I put up on the roof every other year. Yes, I know it is cheesy, but when my kids go trick-or-treating in the neighborhood, they hear other kids talk about the house with the pumpkin on top. Since most of the leaves are gone from the trees by Halloween, you can see our house from a block and a half away!
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Lots of pumpkins in the yard, clouds of fog rolling across the ground, spooky music and sound effects audible from a distance, and projections in the windows seem to help attract a crowd for me.
By minion_of_the_pumpkin
one year i saw some dude in a mask chained to the lawn. he would howl and grab kids. it was pretty cool. everyone wanted to go to that house
By paddy_babe
minion_of_the_pumpkin wrote:one year i saw some dude in a mask chained to the lawn. he would howl and grab kids. it was pretty cool. everyone wanted to go to that house
are you sure that was a decoration? :lol:
By CombichristGirl
thats what i was tryin to figure out myself i think im gonna just go with soem small signs for now as they wont be on my property, i dont wanna do anything big.
By Ajax
I usually start a large fire which brings the fire trucks and that generally brings a small crowd of people.
By Artex76
I have a inflatable spongebob dressed as a pirate on my roof. So all the kids coming yelling Spongebob Spongebob, but as they get closer they get a bit more freaked out. With all the smoke and lights and howls, it really lures them in.
By SaneInsideInsanity
minion_of_the_pumpkin wrote:one year i saw some dude in a mask chained to the lawn. he would howl and grab kids.
Im doing that from a coffin in my entrance way this year only zombie style :D

Also you can always make a beacon like this:
http://www.halloween-online.com/decorat ... eacon.html

I just slowly set up. Cob webs, Caution Tape things like that, slowly before halloween then the day before BAM. I don;t have a prob getting kids out :P
By Hunter240x
did anyone else notice the orginal post was from Feb, 2008? lol
By CombichristGirl
i didnt lol but some good ideas came from it :). i had absolutely no time or money this year and things went arye lol. we had no money or time and no one but me could carve pumpkins cept for my nephew did a few. so... i ended up spending mostr of my time carving as i didnt plan things better but next year i do want to do something to this effect to get more people and hopefully next year it wont be quite as cold on the big night, that will help.

i cant really even put something on the roof as it wont be seen from the main road so im gonna have to do some signs or something.
By Dr. Frybrain
SaneInsideInsanity wrote:Also you can always make a beacon like this:
http://www.halloween-online.com/decorat ... eacon.html
I like that idea. It is a lot like my roof top idea.

Also, I have a 20 foot flag pole, that I could place a beacon on, no problem.