Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
By Nikki
:P
So, my window decor is going to be a Skull pumpkin with Chucky (the literal doll dude) sitting behind it with a butcher knife in his hand... with blood dripping out of the pumpkins eyes...

Does anyone know how to make a pumpkin look like it's bleeding? I was thinking some fake blood coming through the eyes (skull stencil) but I want it to look more congealed... can I use some home products (so poor right now) to make it look so?

I just don't want to burn the pumpkin too bad in the process!

Would a red candles wax look alright with the fake blood poured on top of it?

Any tips or advice would be much appreciated!
By Bonster
I have done some casualty simulation courses over the years. What we use for very realistic looking blood is amazing.

Combine one bottle of liquid Glide Spray Starch (from the laundry aisle of a grocery store). Add 2 bottles of yellow food colouring and one bottle of red food colouring. Thicken this to the desired consistency with some powered denture adhesive like Fast-teeth.

This will make a large amount - you can make a smaller amount by adjusting the quantities.

What makes it look so real is the combination of colours - the spray starch is a milky blue colour, and the 2 parts yellow to 2 parts red truly make it look realistic.

Even when the stuff dries it looks good - it sort of gets crusty and scabby. To keep it moist, add a little liquid glycerine.

Hope this was helpful!
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Cool recipe, Bonster. Thanks for sharing!

For another sort of blood option, you might consider the Blood Stix that Killer Clown was talking about here.
By Bonster
Re-reading my recipe again...

That's TWO (2) parts yellow to ONE (1) part red.

Sorry for any confusion... too much red looks fake!
By mesmark
I hot-glued some spiders together. I was planning on painting them but long story short, I just used markers. The glue took the markers great. it was a little shinny and looks wet. I would imagine you could use plain hot-glue on the pumpkins and then just color it with a marker.

You might even use blue or some other color than red.
By The Captain
Caro syrup and red food coloring is the cheapest way I know. I might be to messy and the ants will love you :D but it looks like blood and taste good on pancakes.