Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
...Other than a darn good scare?

(i'll explain) due to the fact that I'm old school & most costumes these days are all shop bought we give extras to well turned out kids (ythough out of just under 100 kids the home made costumes were 2 in total (and made in 10 minutes at that)

So this year for the best in groups we're giving special simpsons lucky bags ..and all of that listed below.

glowstick bracelet / necklace per child.

Handful of chocolates from a 3 kilo qty tin per child

Plastic worms spiders, squirters etc.

Monsters inc transfer dioramas

Glitter pens?? possibly

..other stuff

..is this overboard, does it encourage more of a turn-out to a decorated house? ..or don't they really even look in their bags till the end of the night these days?

your comments & ideas please.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
If I was a kid, I'd be happy to receive any of that. Heck, I'm an adult and I'd STILL be happy to get any of that in my treat bag.

I don't know what the average treats are like in your area, but those sound like a special bonus to me. It's the kids with the well done costumes that get the extras? I'm all for creative costumes, over the repetitive store-bought ones. I'm sure the kids will appreciate it. But what about the kids that don't get the rewards? You might end up getting a "trick" in return, in the form of T.P. or eggs.

Thinking back to my trick-or-treating days, I suppose I didn't look too closely at my candy until I got home. But if something big or unique was being dropped into my plastic pumpkin, I probably would have taken note and said, "This house is cool, we gotta come back here next year!"
By GUS
..the kids get all of that regardless, with the exception of the best Kid (if Any appear in well done costumes) in which case the Simpsons lucky bag is an additional Big separate bag treat! ( I obviously wasn't that clear)

It actually takes a while to dole it out so the entrance hall turns into a bit of a liability on halloween as I leap about (with severe pins & needles cramp from squatting behind the door waiting) getting the goodies together.
..there better be a decent amount of home made costumes this year or else I'm stuck with about 25 extra lucky bags in which case it's out of date sweets next year.

so it's a bit overkill then?
By balsak40
Things have been creative.. I saw a huge bag of individual Play doh's to hand out to the kiddies (small ones especially). I thought that would be neat this year and give out candies to the older ones. 80 playdohs for 8.00 at walmart.
By GUS
playdoh! that's a great idea

makes me think I should obtain a bulk supply of pez candy head dispensers for next year that'd simplify matters somewhat.
By GUS
OH DEAR!
the wife has bought 200 quality modelling balloons in order to make balloon animals for all the young kids!
..her idea is to pr-make around 50 animal things & stick em in various sacks to pull out for them as required, this is all getting a bit like the goody bags at the oscars!
it can get a bit crazy as is without blooming balloon bending!
..imagine if its all rained out & pretty much a no show from the kids
(shakes head in disbelief)
By CorpseBride
That is adorable! The kids will love that! Well....I would anyway ;) Great job Gus's wife! ha ha
By GUS
CorpseBride wrote:That is adorable! The kids will love that! Well....I would anyway ;) Great job Gus's wife! ha ha
..curiously enough I WON'T be showing her this post :lol:
By Meya
I saw some cute Halloween duckies at Party Pig yesterday, but I passed them up. I'm kicking myself for it now!

We just put out candy and glow bracelets/necklaces last year. One kid came by. I'm thinking I need to put out those "Trick or Treat Here" signs.... but I'm in an apt complex!

I actually starting Boo-ing my coworkers last year. If you don't know what it is... I basically just put a lil something in their locker with a note that stated that they had to do the same for a few other people anonymously. That had some good candy (truffles!) and some gummi body parts and a random icky toy. They had fun with that.
By belli
Meya wrote:...I actually starting Boo-ing my coworkers last year. If you don't know what it is... I basically just put a lil something in their locker with a note that stated that they had to do the same for a few other people anonymously. That had some good candy (truffles!) and some gummi body parts and a random icky toy. They had fun with that.
We've done this at my job too. Here is the poem that we hand out with our "Boo" treat along with a sign that says "BOO" on orange paper so that the person can display this on their desk so they won't get booed again. When you get a Boo, the directions are to Boo two other people who have not been booed. It's supposed to be done within 24 hours. It's a fun game and you get treats so what's not to like about that :D I've heard that some people Boo their neighbors. That would be a cool way to get the whole block excited for Halloween.

The air is cool, the season Fall
Soon Halloween will come to all

The spooks are after things to do
In fact, a spook brought this to you

“BOO” is a shield, from witching hour
Just hang it up and watch its power

Upon your desk is where it works
It wards off spooks and scary jerks

The treat, that came with cryptic note
is yours to keep, enjoy them both

The power comes when friends
will copy this, and make it TWO

Then others here among our friends
will give warm fuzzies that will not end

We’ll all have smiles upon our face
No one will know who “Boo”ed whose place

Just one short day to work your spell
or a big ZAP will strike your tail

And don’t forget a nifty treat,
like something cute or something sweet

Please join the fun, lets really hear it
and spread some “Boo’s” and Halloween spirit.

Directions:

1. Enjoy your treat.
2. Hang your “BOO” visibly on your desk.
3. Now you have 24 hours to deliver it to two of your friends who do not have a BOO on their desk.
4. Then watch how far this spreads by Halloween.
By Angel
I loved getting stickers when I was a kid, so I try to give out stickers and Willy Wonka candy.
By GUS
GUS wrote:OH DEAR!
the wife has bought 200 quality modelling balloons in order to make balloon animals for all the young kids!
..her idea is to pr-make around 50 animal things & stick em in various sacks to pull out for them as required, this is all getting a bit like the goody bags at the oscars!
it can get a bit crazy as is without blooming balloon bending!
..imagine if its all rained out & pretty much a no show from the kids
(shakes head in disbelief)
...ok so she now has a spooky balloon bat down pat ..and a scarey flower!

Really annoying woman, she's tying complicated poodles, bears & what-not all from watching (once i hasten to add) a tutorial on u-tube ..I can't even fold a paper plane :?
the bats look pretty cool, & her ballooning techniques going down a storm with the local kids, we've gone through 100+ balloons just messing about, (smarmy mare, the very next day upon getting these balloons went to a kiddies birthday party % was whipping up all-sorts) !
which is FINE ..however I'd prefer we were known as the spooky house rather than the balloon ladies place!

..oh well married life!
By badgers
We give out the "BIG" candy bars :D , Hershey bars, Kit Kats, Reese's and more. The Moms' and dads' come by though to see what new "Zombie" pumpkins I carved this year.
I did buy some mini bubbles to give out this year too.
By GUS
bubbles are a really good idea! ..theres something that even a hardened old soul (of a teenager0 finds irresistable about blowing a few bubbles.

might have to look out for a few small crates of them