Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
By mesmark
I made some wands that I’ll use in a game and also give away as part of the costume contest prizes at the end of the party.

I carved up some sticks and sanded them down:

Then I added hot glue to the handles to make them more interesting. Finally, I painted and stained them.

The stain was just something I had in the house. It is light oak ... meh :confused:

But better than nothing and I really need to stop spending money on this party :thinking:

I’m going to make some more and just go with flat black and brown for the handles. The colorful ones are fun and i’m Sure the kids will like those best, but plain, they look a little more ‘real’.

For the game, the kids will stretch out a rubber band on the wand. They will speak the incantation, Expecto Patronum! and if they can knock down a Dementor, they win! :ghost:
amandap80, DeadKing liked this
By mesmark
Zombombie, thanks! I’ve made 9 more but haven’t painted them yet. I would really like to make enough for everyone and have them have to earn their wand by completing different wizard games. But each wand takes 20-30 minutes to make and I usually plan for 60 kids.

I still have 3 weeks ... it’s possible.

I’m almost finished with my brooms.

Went to the forest and got me some sticks:

I shaved off the bark and tried to make a flat-ish part at the end:

I bought some straw brooms they sell here. I was able to just pull out the broom stick (with a little effort) and then slide my sticks in.

Then I put a round piece of foam inside to make the bulb. And wrapped some wire around the bottom to get it to come to a point.

I still need to paint the sticks and do a little detail work, but not bad for a $15 investment in parts.

By mesmark
I bought a reasonably priced sorting hat and I was trying to think of a way to have a it talk when I put it on kids. It got all complicated with ideas if using multiple cell phones or maybe taking apart a blu tooth speaker ... anyway, that just seemed like a lot of work.

New plan! Kids take an invitation letter out of the sorting hat. Here is a picture of my test invitation:

So, there are 4 versions for each house. Kids take the letter out of the hat and open it. Someone standing nearby will shout out “GGGGRYFINdor!”

I fixed my spelling errors and then printed them up. My daughter bought a wax seal set from Harry Potter World in London a couple years ago and we finally found a use for it.
By mesmark
Marauder’s Map board game ... done!

So 2 players start out in detention in the potions classroom. They have to get back to their common room without P. Snaps finding them.

They take a card:
Harry ... move 6
Dumbledor ... 5
Hermione... 4
Ron ... 3
Hedwig ...2
Buckbeak ... 1
Malfoy... -1
Snape ... return to detention

Each path takes them through a classroom. When they enter the classroom, they have to answer a question based on that subject. Example herbology: What plant did Harry Potter use to help him breath under water?

If they answer correctly, they can continue through. If they answer wrong, they stop there and it’s other players turn.

I’m still testing and trying to work out what makes it fun.
By mesmark
A couple more projects finished.

Quiddich rings

I’ll put those in the center of a dodge ball court. we’ll have a dodgeball (bludger) style game where they throw bean bags (quaffles) through the hoops for points. We might play 3 min matches.

Since the kids will be sorted into their houses. I’m going to make it a house tournament. The top house will win the house cup! 🏆

Hedwig’s cage:

The start of the wires

I repurposed an old prop for the base

Painted and waiting for Hedwig
By shaft28
Truly outstanding. As just a Halloween fan who likes to do up my yard and carve a few pumpkins...this stuff just blows my mind.
I mean you are amazingly talented and your kids are super lucky.
Well done man, it’s looking amazing.