Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
By firefly
hope this works mesmark and you can see the cauldron

Image[/img]

when the fog chiller was on it looked brilliant, the light at the base was a flicker light and really looked like a flame and although you cant see the witch did actually move and looked like she was stirring the cauldron really freaked some kids out...

By GUS
that witch looks good, how long & how much does it cost to make from non standard witch parts?

..and how much low fog does the chiller unit put out?, my biggest problem is wind from the fields living in the fens so making fog sit & stay is a nightmare.
By firefly
Hi Gus,
the frame for the witch was just odds and sods wood 2x2 with some floor board for a base platform, o put some 1" pipe for the shoulders the arms were made from metal coat hangers cut to size and linked by looping the ends and interlocking them, the cloak was a cheap witch coalk (plastic from the pound shop, so was the hat although it did have a handy bit of black hair on it, the mask was a fiver off e-bay, which ifilled with expanding foam to fill out the skeleton hands were an old pair of halloween gloves that didnt fit my daughter, i hoy glued the hands onto the sleve of the cloak stuck the head on a wooden dowel, the foam held it in place, and filled the bottom of the cloack out with a biy of chicken wire, all in all it cost about 20 quid and a slow days work, the fog chiller is a design off http://www.halloweenmonsterlist.info/ and once the ice and flow are right it works well but yes you do need it calm for it to really work.

now this was slightly more work, the dolls head moved from side to side with the help of an old disco ball motor, i removed an eye and placed one of the red plastic ball shades in its place, put a red led in the head and it worked a treat, this year im adding a pop up zombie peeping from the corner of a coffin i have made, and i had a line of cars watching the display lastyear
By S.A.M
Fantastic display there firefly and here in Yorkshire too! I usually just put pumpkins out on display but after seeing your pics I want to do a little something else now...hmm time to get me thinking cap on :D
By GUS
if the missus can stand me messing about with a spare fan I may try that this year, never yet taken any photos of our wee set up, evidently the time has come![/u]
By mesmark
firefly - Thanks for the pics. The display looks great!

I haven't found a cauldron yet so it looks like making one will be the way to go. They have some huge (large trash can diameter) plastic basins here that will work a charm.

However, after visiting the States and picking up a few things, I've changed this year's party theme to spiders. So, I'm be making the cauldron for next year and do a whole dungeon theme.

Thanks for the help. As I get to work on the cauldron, I'll let you know .

And shoot you my questions :P
By Zombie Pumpkins!
With your current theme, I'm guessing some new ZP patterns of spiders should be added to my to-do list?
By mesmark
yes! Yes! Yes!

I'm still waiting for the wizard and pets, though :D

Our costumes haven't changed but my wizard out fit and my wife's witch robe have spider runners. So we're going to be sort of spider lords and the kids will still be black cats and a bat.

I pleaded with everyone to have the kids be spiders, but the girls weren't having it. :?
By matspud
Hey Mesmark. Did you ever get a cauldron? I saw adn inflatable on today. It is actually sold as a drinks cooler and has a witch with it. I don't know if the witch is attached but it looks like it can be inflated without the witch

looked a bit like this
http://www.justforfun.co.uk/prod.asp?code=ASM26383
Think the whole thing was £10 (about $20 )