Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
By mesmark
I'm going to try and set up a nice wizards study or witches cavern scene for next year and I need a cauldron. Any ideas what route I should take?

I live in Japan and have been burnt by eBay in the past. I'm willing to try it again, but does anyone have some ideas about where I could find a good cauldron?

I hope to have water and dry ice inside for the smoke effect. Iwant to try to pick up some of those pumpkin lights Ryan sells and put those insde to make the smoke appear to be colored.

That's the plan anyway.
By Wedge
I don't know if there is anything like a salvation army over there or thrift shop, but what about buying a large soup pot and spray painting it black. It is still a little early for Halloween supplies to be in the stores but I will keep my eyes open for you Mark. Worse case I will get it and send it over seas to you if it comes to that.
By mesmark
Thanks Wedge, I appreciate the offer.

I'm going to keep looking around here and there. I'm going to the States for a few weeks and might look there. It would be great to have a real iron pot but hauling that back to Japan doesn't sound like fun.

Painting a regualr pot black is also a good idea.

If in your internet travels you happen across a cool cauldron, let me know.
By firefly
Ok step by step and i assure you this looks great,

i used an old large round plant pot,(plastic one)
i bought some polystyrene chain and handles and hot glued then to the pot to look like handles and the chain draped around, i then sprayed the pot black with ordinary car paint (Matt) i cut the bottom out of mine so i could fit a motor for a animated witch, and it looked fantastic

the chain i bought from a shop i saw selling just before Halloween the pot i got given and the paint is east to get hold of

chain http://www.sillyjokes.co.uk/dress-up/anchor-chain.html
By mesmark
Thanks! I guess that's probably he way to go. It would be light and cheaper than something metal. It's always easy to just buy something, but the results are usually better when I actually spend the time to make what i really want.

I just got back from the States and passed up some fake chains in Party America (bummer.) but I might be able to find something here or paint some plastic chains from the local hardware store.

I appreciate the help.
By Pumpkin King
You could always make a paper mache cauldron and paint it, then use an insert, like an old plant pot to house the water and dry ice. That way you could make the cauldron as large as you wanted to.