Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
By nosferatu

For years I have been astounded by people's home haunts and Halloween displays. Mesmark and monstermash in particular I find inspirational. About 18 months ago, I came across a sketch of a haunted tree. I loved it. Printed off a copy and thought nothing more. Last September I was determined to try and turn my garage into some sort of haunt but needless to say life events took over. I did make a good start though.

I wanted a tree either side of the garage entrance, so dug out the tree sketch, scaled it up onto 3mm MDF and painted it. It's not 3d but I think it looks great. I was determined to find the original artist to thank them. Couldn't find it on Deviantart or Pinterest but finally tracked it him down. Turns out it is a guy called Malin Pont, his original sketch is far superior, these trees don't do it justice but I lack dexterity in my hands to cut it out precisely. He had a sketch a day blog http://magellinadad.blogspot.co.uk/2012 ... -tree.html and would recommend anyone take a look. Some really great sketches on there. I emailed him to thank him.

Apologies for the quality of the pic, taken on an iPad, hopefully post more in October when they are in situ. I plan on making a reaper and using a lot of silhouette cut outs amongst the ubiquitous pumpkins
Nos - It looks great! and it seems huge. The little ones will be quite spooked, I'm sure.

I like that you took the time to research and find a good reference pic. I should really do that ...

I see the base is some sort of deck-umbrella stand. Are you going to have it up off the ground? behind a rock or something? Or, will it sit flush with the ground?
Ooh, looks very good. Thanks for sharing this, Nos. Especially at this time of year. It's nice to know that haunt decor is on your mind this year. Keep the spirit alive and you should stay motivated enough to have some great display items ready for Halloween this year. Also it's good of you to give credit to the original artist. I hope he enjoys seeing his drawing "come to life."
Having a love for haunted trees, this is spectacular Nos! I can't wait to see what the finished product will be like! :thumbsup: