Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
Wait I just noticed that you were using a pumpkin scrapper for glue. On a side note everything is looking great.
WOW! Great job mesmark! I seriously can't wait to see how this will all turn out!! 8) :frank:
By mesmark
sloaner - you should definitely make something. It's fun! :thumbsup:

the palm trees are finished:

You need to take a lot off the edges to make the trees appear to be round. I take the edges off with a box cutter first, because it means less sanding and mess.

Here are two of them rounded and sanded:

then you can paint them. I shade the edges darker, again, just to make them look rounder.

I added some extensions onto some stands I already had, but you'll need something like this to hold up the leaves and keep your foam trunks from falling over

here they are:

They'll be placed on two different grass patches (on either side of the pier.) The treasure chest will sit in front of just one tree (the one on the left.)

I also got a bit further with the pirate ship:

I made the structure that goes behind the ship

and I painted the ship and masts.

I just need to make the sails and paint some lit windows on the back of the ship.

Things are looking good. I have one more free morning this week to do some work. So, I'm well ahead in this game ... so far.
Last edited by mesmark on Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've loved seeing these trees develop. It,s so interesting to watch the way you construct them. I agree with zombombie. The shading does look 3-dimensional. It looks like you have a fine crop of pumpkins to carve as well. I can''t wait to see how it all turns out.
By mesmark
thanks for the votes of confidence. I would have liked to spend a bit more time on the tree trunks. I think they could use both lighter color and a black-ish brown, but I'm under time constraints. I can't spend too much time on any one prop. I just need to get it close enough that people will believe it.

I've given up doing any more work today, but I made a little rough graphic to get an idea of how my sails should be cut.
Ohh just wonderful mesmark! I seriously want to see it all laid out for the party. Good job and keep it up! :thumbsup:
Superb Mes, I love the look of your trees. I don't think they need anymore work at all but I know how it is when you've got an idea of the finished prop in your mind. You could have the odd coconut dotted around at the base of the trees, maybe they would look out of proportion but it maybe not.
Thats a fine galleon ye have there matey! I can almost here canon fire just looking at it.
Wow, that's a great theme. cant wait to see pics. Don't know about making the floor sandy but for sand piles or small dunes you can use spray foam and let it dry then use a clear coat spray or brush on some liquid glue and pour sand onto it. I did that for a sculpting project, it worked pretty well.
My son would LOVE those props in his rooml. great job on the treasure chest.
By mesmark
monstermash wrote:Superb Mes, I love the look of your trees. I don't think they need anymore work at all but I know how it is when you've got an idea of the finished prop in your mind.
Thanks! Yeah, they're going to work just fine. It's going to be a big scene and I don't think they'll draw too much attention. Besides, nobody walks around a party examining props and thinking, "He should have used a third or fourth color on that." ... except for me :D

So, don't invite me to any parties with props :)
staticfurball wrote:My son would LOVE those props in his room. great job on the treasure chest.
Thanks! My kids might be fighting him off for the treasure chest. A couple of them are eyeing it and maybe hoping for the treasure as well.

One more prop done for today - a pirate crate: (East India trading Co. crate to be precise)

I cut all of the pieces out. It doesn't have a back.

this is just a shot to show how I added a wood-grain feel to the boards. First I make some knot like sections and then I run a flat-head screwdriver down the boards in a sloppy manner.

Then I painted all of the pieces. It was windy, so the pumpkins are there to keep the newspaper down.

and here's the crate.

I also made a barrel, but I'm not so impressed with the results. I might use it off to the side if I can't find something else to fill the scene.

I cut and painted the sign for the photo spot. I'm just waiting for it to dry and then I can glue it all together.
By SuperSonic
Loving the crate mes!

It does add a lot to the theme! Can't wait to see more progress :)