Chronicle your costume creation and share photos of your disguise.
Just a quick update - I'm still picking up the odd accesory for my costume - which I think I'll do until the actual party! I think the last big thing I have to do is a little sewing... Well I say the last big thing I have to do... :lol: :wink:

I've also made a couple of small additions to my sidearm, with maybe one more to go...
Ok Minions, advice needed! I got this free foam boomerang and I'm thinking of incorporating it into my costume as a weapon...

I was thinking of turning it a glaive, like one of these things:

So obviously I'd need to cut it to shape, but as it's foam that shouldn't be too hard, and I'd need to paint it - again not too hard. The thing I'm not too sure about is whether or not it really goes with the rest of my costume. I think it does, every good demon hunter needs a sharp pointy weapon right?! I just think I'd really need to get the look of it right, so any input from you lovely lot won't hurt :)

I was thinking painting bronze (possibly silver), putting some accents on it like swirly patterns and stuff, and maybe put some holes in it to decorate. Thoughts? Thanks guys!
I think it'll look great. The beauty about steampunk is that there are no specifics. It is so adaptable, if it looks the part, it's fine. Its not like making a Stormtrooper costume where the slightest imperfection or misplaced accessory would be crucified ( there should only be two greeblies on the right rear area not three) that's why I like your steampunk idea. Your costume will be original and unique and I can't wait to see the completed ensemble.
Yeah, I don't see any reason why this weapon idea wouldn't work with your costume. As Nos said, with steampunk, just about anything goes. It's retro-futuristic. So weapons that are old or new can be made to fit. Just as long as they match the esthetic of the rest of your costume and props. Make it looks sharp and metallic. Maybe some battle-damage scuff marks. Maybe a touch of blood splatter. And of course, be sure to slap a cog in the middle or something to make it steampunky. ;)

'm reminded of those weapons in Underworld that were like throwing stars (although this weapon is a bit smaller and different from your idea). They start as discs, and when the Vampire Death Dealers toss them at their Lycan foes, the blades extend.

The point is, these weapons are supposed to be modern, but they are designed with an ornate aesthetic because they were crafted by ancient vampires with a regal bloodline. Proof that any sort of weapon can be cool to use against supernatural foes, as long as the design fits the style of the monster hunter.

Oh, and the glaive from the Blade movies... duh. Just realized that's what you posted above. I believe that's the "Cyclone" glaive that Blade used in part 2 (okay okay, I looked that up). But Snipes sure made this boomerang blade look cool, didn't he?

zombombie, I think the challenge for you just might be making the foam boomerang look like metal. A bronze color would surely fit with your theme. But if it's not shiny enough, people might mistake it for brown wood.

Silver might read better as a blade, but I guess it depends on the sort of paint you use. You could paint some simulated highlights onto the surface (look at pictures of very shiny metal for reference). Or glue some metallic bits on there to reinforce the idea.

Another idea to show age in your weapon is to add some rust, which would look cool in a steampunk way.
Good luck!
Would it be very shiny and metalic if it were steampunk? I'm not too clued up on the genre but i'd have thought a bit of rust here and there wouldn't look to out of place. It would also hide a multitude of sins. It's great you're really putting alot of thought into your costume, the small details definately make the end product stand out from shop bought stuff.
While tea staining my brothers doctors coat today I was thinking to myself of all the places that the coat would get particularly dirty. Collar, cuffs, bottom edge etc. The pockets would have horrible mucky neddles and scalples in them so they'd be stained to. I even went as far as to think of blood trajectory when I come to spatter it with the fake stuff. I hope your as mad as me when it comes to the details. Don't tell me im the only one... :? :lol:
I'm all about the details MM!! I love your staining idea, especially the pens in the pocket. i was thinking of staining my costume, with demon blood off course, but I'm a gentleman - need to keep my clothes pressed, even when saving the earth from demons!
Do you have any photos yet of your costume (the clothing part)? I'm just trying to do my husband costume and I can't find...anythinnnggg.

Thanks! :D
Lala, I'm using black pinstripe trousers and boots which I alread own, a cheap white shirt, a pair of braces a hat and some other items. I've actually found finding the clothes alright, sorry!

I've actually been quite lucky really in that I already own clothes that I can use and I've got a few pocket watches which I knew the chains of which would come in handy! You should definitely look at ebay for smaller accent pieces though, definitely worth scouring thrift stores too :)