Chronicle your costume creation and share photos of your disguise.
By zombombie
Hi all!

So I need to stain a bright white shirt a browny colour. I was thinking of using tea but I'm wiorried I might end up stinking of tea...

I need it to be cheap whatever I do - does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance :)

I also managed to cut myself a little while working on my costume this evening so there's now reall blood on my shirt - added realism ftw! :twisted:
By monstermash
You wont stink of tea :lol:
If you stained it with coffee you would definately stink of coffee but tea should be fine. You could buy some cheap fabric dye but tea would be better. Lots of bags mind!
I stained a few sheets for ghouls last year. I chucked the sheets in a bucket with a bit of water and i squirted some brown/black paint in with them and mix it all up. I left it to soak for a day, took them out, hung them on the washing line and they came out great.

Cheap poster paint + bucket + water.
Or Teabags + bucket + water. Either will work fine. AND BE CAREFUL!!! No more real blood! :lol:
By GUS
WON'T STINK! ....SIMPLE

*till YOU wear it :lol: :P

Seriously though if worried try staining some old holey eddie grundies & if they do stink after a gentle rinse, well no loss if binned.

I'd brew up around 6 good teabags, stew it up then add the test piece, leave overnight & rinse, you'll get some idea as to how the stain holds.
By SaneInsideInsanity
Personally i use coffee and vinegar....the vinegar seals in the color then when you wash the garment after so it will hole the colour and you wont smell of coffee
By GUS
true, malt vinegar is only around 20p for 500ml from aldi & similar, might be worth a go! , the other thing is to rinse it afterwards in your machine, the vinegar will break down any calcium deposits, though I imagine your water is soft enough up north!
By zombombie
Thanks folks :)

One last question: if I stain the shirt with tea will I be able to add more stains to it? Blood for example...

I just need a base colour of brown so that I can build it up.

Glad to hear I won't stink - I might by the end of the party though :lol:
By SaneInsideInsanity
yes afterwords blood and other stains will still set
By monstermash
You can stain it with whatever you want... :P
Get down to a cheap shop, Aldi or Lidl, and get some teabags and vinegar for pennies and give it a go.
Be sure and show us how it works out.
By GUS
As previously recommneded snazaroo gel blood, choose your variety as there are a few.
By GUS
Those tattered shirt ends look naff! ..get something coarse to rough it up with in various places, eg an electric sander applied here & there..
other than that looks good & filthy, what worked so well?
By zombombie
GUS wrote:Those tattered shirt ends look naff! ..get something coarse to rough it up with in various places, eg an electric sander applied here & there..
other than that looks good & filthy, what worked so well?
Ouch! Don't think I could stretch to a belt sander! I'll try and get the tattered ends looking rougher though! :p

Gel blood and make up made the grubby look :)
By Zombie Pumpkins!
When I made my zombie costume shirt, I placed a piece of wood under the shirt (to protect the floor), and then ran a very stiff bristled wire brush over any part I wanted to be tattered (bottom of shirt, end of sleeves, a few holes). The stiff wires help unravel the fabric weave and can get you a good worn out look.
By monstermash
I was just think wire brush! Looking really good EZ. Just treat it like rubbish, leave it outside for a day or two, walk on it, kick it, call it names...

Imagine you have either been buried in it or you've been walking around for a week eating people in it. So VERY dirty or Very bloody.

So what are you dressing up as exactly? What other parts of your costume are you working on? I love making my own costume and sourcing different bits and bobs.
By SaneInsideInsanity
I used my torch on mine a bit lol